i have to partitions, 1 leopard, 1 tiger.. how can i delete tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mpmusic, May 28, 2008.

1. mpmusic macrumors newbie

So i was going to do a duel boot, where i can boot leopard, and tiger at the same time.. during leopard install i accidentally erased everything on my original tiger drive and installed leopard on one my hd along with another HD partition that's not being used.

what i wanna do is delete the partition that has 80 gb on it (nothing)
    and move that 80 gb to my leopard partition.
    only problem is, after i deleted the partition that had nothing on it. i cannot move the slider.. and when i go to 1 partition instead of 2, it says it will erase everything on my main OS..

so how do i get my free space back on my leopard drive? i hope this isnt that confusing..

2. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

The method you chose to migrate is questionable. I advice backing up the data you want and installing leopard separately. It will actually save you alot of trouble. You should back up anyhow because of the mess you could run into. Having multiple partitions can be hell.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Booted into Leopard, open Disk Utility. Select your drive and go to the partition tab. Select the partition you no longer need, and press the "-" button to delete it. Drag the remaining partition out to the full size of the drive and hit 'apply'. Leave the machine alone for a couple of minutes while it does the job. Bingo! =]

4. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

I believe he wants to move the 80 gigs first though. right?

5. mpmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

"Booted into Leopard, open Disk Utility. Select your drive and go to the partition tab. Select the partition you no longer need, and press the "-" button to delete it. Drag the remaining partition out to the full size of the drive and hit 'apply'. Leave the machine alone for a couple of minutes while it does the job. Bingo! =]"

[​IMG]

I've tried that, when i hit minus on the partition of the two, i do NOT want, and hit apply, it shows up as free space, and i cannot slide it up or down. i cannot resize my remaining partition.. thats my problem..

i tried doing this from my leopard disc two and it dosnt work...
    is there maybe a third party software i can use to give me 80 gigs back to the partition i'm using?

6. billmister macrumors 6502

I would also like to know this.

I have a WD external Hard drive where i have 1 partition for storage, and 1 partition for my back up (time machine)...

I want to move the folders i have in my storage to my Tmie machine as i see i can do that.. I want to delete my storage partition and allow my time machine to occupy the space that storage was.

Without loosing anything on my time machine