I have to pay to ship a defective part back?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cursor, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

So I bought a WD MyBook Studio II Edition drive about a month ago. One of the two RAIDed drives went bad this morning, and I called WD for a replacement. They said they'd send me a replacement drive under the warranty, but that I'd have to pay to ship the defective drive back.

I feel that since it broke, and was under warranty, they should cover all of the shipping charges.

What do you guys think? Have any of you dealt with Western Digital defective products?

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Pretty standard procedure to have the customer pay shipping to the vendor. I've had to pay to ship a broken GPS, under warranty, to Garmin. They paid return shipping though. Pretty much how every vendor operates.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

To explain the logic behind it is lets say you had something broken under lets say Best Buy warranty.

You would have to pay for the the gas and your time to take it back to Best Buy to have the warranty work done. In that sense you are paying to have it shipped to them.

Honestly I find it annoying that they are not paying for shipping but that is the logic behind it at least.

4. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Alright.

I've only had one or two other tech products break under warranty, and the vendor always paid shipping both ways. That was a while ago, though (5+ years ago).

I guess times change.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep, that's the current business model for most.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Weirdly, Apple - the company that is now renowned for gouging customers any chance it gets - is one of the few that will pay for a customer to ship defective products back. I've had them ship boxes to return products in before.

7. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of when I last had a defective part, since it's been a while. I think that's the way it should be, as long as the consumer isn't at fault.