I have to upgrade, what do I need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d88co88, Jul 23, 2010.

1. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

Hi, I need to upgrade to a macbook. I have been using a PowerBook G4 12" for a while now for website design/editing, graphic design, video editing, and a lot of just surfing the web/checking email. The problem is it just died and I think it's time I go for a MacBook. Which one would suit my needs? I have a very limited budget so I'm looking at going craigslist or something like that. There are some cheaper macbook pros that are intel core duo, but I think I need at least an intel core 2 duo. I'm open to any advice/suggestions. Thanks!!!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Any Core Duo or Core 2 Duo will fit your needs, especially if a G4 PB did suffice.

What kind of video editing did you do and with what application and with what kind of footage?

3. d88co88 thread starter macrumors 6502

d88co88

I was using a VERY old version of final cut pro, I think like the it is final cut pro 3 or something:D. I am going to upgrade though hopefully, as I am young and don't have enough money to buy a new one. Will CS3 work on snow leopard, or will I have to use CS4?

4. d88co88 thread starter macrumors 6502

d88co88

Also, should I get a 15" or 13"? I would like a 15" but I don't have enough money. Does anybody use the 13" for my purposes?

5. d88co88 thread starter macrumors 6502

d88co88

6. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Hey!

I use my Mac Book Pro for similar reasons to yours, i do a lot of web design and development in general which i previously did on a PC. When moving to mac i have started to web develop using Adobe CS5 Dreamweaver, now its great, but i think the screen size is abit of an issue with dreamweaver by the code being rather small to read, however saying that i do believe the quality of screen justifies the reduction in size from a 15" previously. Therefore i would suggest you to get one however if you can find a cheaper 15" previous model before the current refresh i would go for it! ;)