I Have Too Much Music For My IPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JacobHedlund, Oct 9, 2015.

1. JacobHedlund macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 6 and I am quickly running out of space for my music. I like to use my phone for music so I am hoping to avoid having to buy a second device to use solely for music.

I have looked into wireless card readers that can connect to the phone via wi-fi and while they work great for accessing photos and videos the format is very unfriendly for playing music.

I was wondering if maybe there was a wireless card reader that had an app that was friendly to playing music or if there are any other alternatives I could consider.

Thank you,

Jacob

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Have you tried Google Music?

You can upload 20K songs for free (maybe more now) and stream them w/ their app.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

How big is your phone?

The options are either reduce the file size (either on your own, or use the option in iTunes when you sync your device) or use a service like Apple Music which will allow you to play your entire library when you have network connection and keep a subset of that stored locally on your phone.

4. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

128gb iPhone
    iCloud Music Library / iTunes Match

You couldn't possibly need 100+ gb of music actively ;)

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This. I have my entire iTunes library up there, over 9+GB. None of it on my phone and I can stream it using any device. It's editable on any device and all my playlists are reflected anywhere.

6. Frisco2008 macrumors newbie

Frisco2008

I have a Kingston mobile lite g2. It stores and replays videos and music (and other file types). It uses USB sticks or SD cards for storage. I got it from Amazon for about $40.00.

7. JacobHedlund thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds great! I'll look into that!!

Do I need to have access to Internet or data to make it work however?

8. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I use iTunes Match for the same thing. It's limit is 25k songs, I think.

As to the OP, you can choose to download some music to your phone to avoid connectivity issues, if you wish (I think).

How much music do you have, and how much storage is on your phone?

C

9. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

If all of your songs are purchased from iTunes, then delete all your songs. The songs will reappear as iTunes in the cloud music that takes up no space on your iPhones storage. Your second option is to use Google Play music, however since apple does have DCMA protection of some of the songs, you many not be able to sync your entire library. Google Play music can be played either Online (Via Wi-fi or cellular) or Offline (downloaded to google play music app to be played on Airplane mode, but, does take data on your phone's storage.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

iTunes Match was not around when Google sent me an invite to what was Google Music Beta. Currently the System Preference pane and Music app for Google Play Music is also STILL compatible with PowerPC Macs. My library is on my 17" PowerBook G4 running OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and that is where I import new music.

Match is great, but it showed up quite a few years after I already had this well established.

11. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

12. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

iTunes Match will also match music that you have in your personal library. As in, CD's you've included. And Match also has the option of selecting artists, songs, playlists to download to your device, taking up storage but making them available to play when you're not connected.

C

13. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

No worries, and I have no idea which one is better. I just started with Match, and kept on it.

C

14. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I'd say Apple Music or iTunes Match if you're fine streaming it. I personally would just try to get a higher storage phone next time. I like to have mine all downloaded locally so I have about 17GB of my 64GB as music

15. koulmj macrumors 6502

I actually take the time to select which artist i want synced to my phone...sometimes my daughter's "Glee" Collection(Whatever that is) ends up on there.

16. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

50k now.

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have 600+ CD albums (recently sold 152 on Ebay to leave me my 'classics'), and 119 vinyl LPs. There is no way that I could get those onto a mobile device in a lossless capacity so I would rather not bother trying. I do my listening at home.

18. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

It's actually 50K songs now for free. They upped the limit.