I have two iPhone 4's. Crazy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolbreeze, Nov 11, 2010.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

So I managed to return to ATT 28 days ago and get unlimited data (the iPhone 2g trick). I love my iPhone 4 and unlimited data and never want to cancel it.

Trouble is, work just gave me an iPhone 4 for free.

So, I'm faced with the following:

Do I cancel my iPhone 4 and my number that I've had for 12 years and keep just the company iPhone? I know this seems obvious, but I'm certain the company phone has 2gigs / 200 SMS plan, which scares me since I use a lot of data.

Canceling it would be covered under the "30 day trial" and not cost me a penny. Plus, I would save ~ $80/month as I'd only be paying for my wife's 3gs.

I'm just worried something may happen to my job one day causing me to lose my iPhone 4 and re-enter the wireless world under silly data caps and non-existent unlimited data on any carrier...

If you were me, what would you do?

2. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

When the unlimited data plan no longer suits AT&T they will remove it. No point paying $80/month just to keep it. Port your old number to your free work phone.

Job done. :)

3. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

ATT can't just change your grandfathered data plan, can they?

Oh, and no can do on the port. It's all one big corporate plan and I don't have the ability to modify the plan / number at all.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, i carry two phones, one for work and one for personal, because I like to keep these things separate. For this reason I would say keep both if you can afford it, however maybe get a different phone for one of the lines, just seems kinda weird having two iPhones on you plus you would need something to differentiate two. Personally I have a pre plus for work and iPhone 4 for personal.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

No, they can't just remove you grandfathered plan, but they could do something like you wouldn't be able to upgrade unless you get a new data plan with limits or something like that.

6. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I think I've decided to save the over $900 per year and cancel my personal iPhone tomorrow.

I'll just use my work iPhone until...well, maybe for years.

Then I'll hope and pray there is a carrier with an unlimited LTE iPhone 6 plan available ;)

I just can't carry two iPhones. Ridic.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Truthfully losing my unlimited data would be the least of my concerns. AT&T can indeed change the contract terms on us if they wish, and at best the only recourse we'd have is to be able to leave without an ETF fee. (Doubt they will, but they can.)

One thing to consider: in many places your employer is legally entitled to keep an eye on everything you do on that phone if they're paying the bills. Some companies are utter dicks about that sort of thing, some don't care. Me, I worked in IT for a middle-of-the-road type of company and saw what they could get access to when they felt they had a "need" to; since then, I would never consider not having my own personal phone or laptop. Even when there's nothing to hide morally and nothing that breaks corporate policy, there's a lot I do on my phone that I consider none of their damn business.

Yes, it's a lot of money to spend, but the peace of mind makes up for it, for me. It's worth at least finding out what your policy is before you make up your mind. Some companies limit things right down to the number of personal calls/texts, and require you turn in the entire bill to substantiate the expense. Others, as I said, don't give a rip about any of it, so it all just depends.

Also, be aware that a lot of companies have strict policies on jailbreaking. I doubt I could ever go back to a vanilla firmware iPhone, even a totally free one! :D

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

well if you are not going to be really using the data in your personal iPhone due to having the work iPhone w/ unlimited data also, then paying $80 extra a month is $80 lost that if you stop working for x reason then you would have saved enough that even if you go pass the caps, even w/ extra fees you would still save money... This all depends of course on how much data usage, time you will last w/ your employer, expendable cash at the moment, etc... If it was me I would just change your personal phone number to a really cheap plan that let's you keep it active and just use your iPhone form work unless you know you might lose your job in the near future or that your work is very volatile and fleeting...

9. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

Is there a cheap plan that will allow me to keep my iPhone unlimited data (i.e. one that I can use with a "dumbphone" just for voice calls)?

10. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Keep both

I keep work iPhone for work related matters...
    and carry a personal iPhone for everything else. I like to keep things separate - especially in terms of data use and applications.

To make matters even worse... last week when I was in the US, I had THREE iPhones with me?!?!?!

1 x work iPhone (didn't carry it daily though)
    1 x pers iPhone (kept Australian SIM in it with my usual phone number - but turned off data roaming)
    1 x 3 GS iPhone which I put an AT&T SIM in with 100MB data and calls via a GoPhone.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

There are other data plans, you will have to change it to another data plan for that specific device, usually dumbphones have cheaper plans. I was referring basically to port your # to a cheap voice only plan so that you don't lose your #... I don't know if you can maybe port it to a prepaid use per min plan or something...

12. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

13. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Agreed keep both! Because you don't want to do personal things on a work phone and risk losing your job over a text message! Be safe and have both!

14. err404 macrumors 68020

Since your changing numbers anyway, get a Google Voice number. That way you wont have to go though the hassle of changing numbers again.
    Also keep in mind that many companies lock down the hand sets they hand out. You browsing may go though a corporate proxy and they may restrict your ability to install apps.

15. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

No you don't.

16. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I know I said I was returning my personal iP4, but I changed my mind.

I decided to keep my personal iPhone 4. I just have too much involvement with unlimited data and really do prefer to keep work and personal stuff just that - separate. I do have a GV number (have had one for years) and am anxiously awaiting the official GV app to hit the app store. Right now, the Sean Kovacs app does nothing for me. Google is close to having one for iOS and I will wait (former Android user...so I know how good the official app will be).

I compromised by dropping my wife and I's unlimited SMS plan ($30) and downloaded the Whats App app for $99 (.49.5 cents per phone) and we now use this for SMSing. This really is a great app and is saving us $30/month.

So, I roll with 2 iP4's. Love it.

17. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

this is a no brainer

keep work and personal separate.

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am surprised that they will let you use your iPhone 4 for personal reasons. Work phones are for work. But, your company must be very nice in times like this.