I have Two Ordered by Accident -how hard to sell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadgetfreaky, Jun 16, 2010.

1. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

I accidently ordered one from AT&T and one from Apple since there was no ship confirm (I got worried).

They are both on the same line for 199. I presume at some point, I'll get charged the full unlocked price back to my bill by Apple or ATT. How much gets added? Can I chance the order to the unsubsidized price?

How does it work?

2. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

Ask them? or may be just cancel it?

3. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I don't want to cancel because then one or both might cancel. I'd rather get two then just return it launch day.

Then at worst, return it. At best, sell it on ebay or something. The things are going for 850 to 1000.

4. WHM macrumors regular

I don't think you will have a problem selling it... My opinion after setting up the first one you will not be allowed by A.T&T. to get the other one activated....simply leave it at the store or if home delivery return to Apple or A.T.&T.

5. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

There's no such thing as an "unlocked" price. There is the unsubsidized price but even then, the phone is locked to AT&T.

Somehow the duplicate purchase will be picked up as they will not allow you two phones for the same number.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I did this last year. Actually 1st ordered in White then decided I wanted black. neither apple or AT&T would allow me to return without a restocking fee even though it was unopened. I ended up selling mine to the AT&T rep they are on last priority to get one. the thing you have to be careful about has to be somebody with AT&T that is eligible for the upgrade. Other wise they will want full price on the phone. that's why I went with the rep

7. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

what do you mean...picked up. like AT&T police gonna come to my house?
    If I sell it to someone, then they activate it..how do I figure out how much I'll be charged?

8. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

Useful info.
    so basically I should assume it's going to cost me 600 bucks for whichever one I do not activate right? Therefore if I sell it for 600 or more I am in the black.

Ebay seems to have em for 800 so I could even make a nice profit.

9. cu2010 macrumors 6502

What a great idea :D

10. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I'm in your exact boat. I just talked to ATT, and she said I can refuse the shipment when it arrives and it will cancel the deal.

I guess I can also accept it and try to return it and chance a restocking fee, or accept it and sell it on eBay. I just gotta believe that these things will be going for 4 digits on eBay on or around launch day.

11. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

honestly you would think they would have some sort of check to see if you have more than one order from Apple and AT&T.
    If I sold it for 1k tho...and made a 400 profit from the 599 charge. that's pretty good.
    pays for my phone.

12. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I can guarantee you can make $1,000 off that phone on eBay. The trick is, put a Buy It Now price on it. Don't auction it off. I'm certain someone browsing around will see it and buy it right away. I've seen several preorders on eBay go for over $1,000.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You really think you'll be able to sell the iPhone for 1,000 dollars?

14. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Here's an idea. Return it to AT&T or Apple rather than trying to scam companies for a quick buck. :rolleyes:

15. ProMod macrumors 6502a

A quick check on eBay shows people trying to sell their preorders already, with most in the $750-1000 range.

I'm not trying to scam anybody, just making sure my girlfriend gets her phone on the 24th, which is also her birthday. If ATT wants to charge a restocking fee, that thing is going on eBay without a doubt.

16. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I thought it was just my girlfriend who had duplicate orders, one at ATT and one at Apple, but I just logged into my account and see I have two coming as well! I feel kinda bad if all 4 actually arrive on launch day, but I'm scared to cancel any in case something gets screwed up between now and then. What an ordeal.

17. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah that's my plan as well. If I can get 1k for it...and it seems like demand is very high and they ran out fast becuase it was a worldwide launch then why not?

It was not intentional. I only ordered the extra one since I could not get an order confirm. And a restocking fee ? no thank you.

18. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

exactly. I don't want to mess with it it either. I could cancel apple's but...why risk it?

all these posts about how much demand there was--makes me wonder how much of it is duplicate orders.

19. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I never intended to end up with four orders. I wish I had never veered from my original plan of ordering only from Apple, but the fact that I got through first on ATT made me keep trying their site.

I wouldn't cancel the ones from Apple either, since they are guaranteeing delivery on the 24th and ATT isn't so sure about it. Unfortunately, ATT is the one with the arduous cancellation or return policy.

20. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

21. spyder721 macrumors regular

spyder721

im in the same boat... i will roll the dice and see what happens... we can easily sell them on ebay or craigslist in no time!

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Just call one and cancel it. I am sure both companies will be glad to with their backorders. I cancelled mine from AT&T

23. spyder721 macrumors regular

spyder721

my status from att still says attention, im waiting for an email any min saying that it is cancelled..