I have Wifi but my itouch wont connect

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mr.Clutch24, May 11, 2009.

1. Mr.Clutch24 macrumors newbie

i got my itouch for christmas and the wifi at my house has been working perfectly until now. my itouch will find the wifi. but wont connect anymore. i dont know why. my computer and internet work fine. any ideas?

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Probably something in the preferences.

I would take a look around in the preferences for your router and see if anything looks wrong.

3. Socorso macrumors member

Touch with no WiFi

I've just had the same problem. Purchased my iPod Touch in September 2008. WiFi worked perfectly out of the box everywhere I went. Until two days ago. It was on and off until it went all together. I would restart 2 or 3 times and then I would have a connection for about a minute. It would still show the icon, but there was no connection.

Believe me, I tried everything. Restore after restore.

Finally, I called Apple and they suggested I either get it repaired or replaced at the store. I have an appointment this Wed. Will report back.

They tell me that I will be getting a refurbed one as a replacement. Anyone have any issues with this?

4. lilkoolaidman macrumors newbie

lilkoolaidman

next to the conection, click the arrow then click "forget this network", turn off WiFi then try again. sometimes there's no real reason why the touch does this it just feels like being special.:D

5. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

One of my friends claimed his iPod Touch would not connect to his home wifi network and after he followed my instructions to setup the network, he still could not get it to work. I came over to take a look at it, and it turns out that his Safari was automatically opening up to a closed Airport T-Mobile Hotspot page. After redirecting the browser to another site, it worked fine. So it was all just a huge misunderstanding.

6. Socorso macrumors member

Yes Lilkoolaidman, I tried that as well. Good suggestion though. My concern now is that I will probably get a replacement... but will this happen again? Is this a recurring problem? Based on the posts all over the web it sounds like it is... Have they fixed it? Will the next one I get be the same after 8 months. I must confess I use my Touch primarily for email, web browsing an remote control of my itunes library so the wifi 'bits' get quite a workout...

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

have you tried finding a free hot spot and testng the wifi on another connection? if so do you still get same results of it not connecting?

go to the wifi section in settings then click the blue arrow for the connection, do get a 192 IP address or another?

8. fbenaven macrumors newbie

Same issue with my ipod which is still under guarantee. After several unsuccessful tests I took it to an Apple Service Provider called "Universo Mac" in Madrid (Spain). A week later they send me an email with the repairing cost. I phone them asking explanations and they told me that the guarantee do not cover the reparation because the ipod has "several strokes". How is it posssible that some minor hits can broke the ability to connect to wifi networks despite it is able to detect them?

9. Socorso macrumors member

swapped my iPod Touch

So i made my appointment with a Genius with the technician on the phone. I went into the Apple Store and they swapped it for me no questions asked. He said that it doesn't happen often. Not sure about that, but glad that I now have a fully functional iPod again!!

BTW, I did try it again in the store, and no luck... it really was blown... New one is perfect... he told me he could not tell if it was a refurb or a new one. It looks pretty new to me! At least newer than my one one!

10. ZeroCorpse macrumors member

I was going to say I had this problem, and in my case it was caused by one of my other wireless devices (a speaker set) that was interfering with the WiFi.

I made it search out a new channel, and everything was fine.

11. Socorso macrumors member

Well thats a whole other issue. More and more of my neighbors are installing wireless routers so my connection is getting more and more choppy outside. I've been using the Remote App to control my iTunes library and play it from my stereo connected outside in the garage with my Airport Express. Its a fantastic set up! I can even control the volume.

However, I do find it cuts in and out every so often due to interference. At least I think thats what it is... Hoping to buy another Express or upgrade my Extreme and use the old one as a extender...