I have Wireless Backups Working w/Time Machine!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ~J~, Nov 2, 2007.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Hey guys... got this working last night and wanted to share how to do it for anyone else who wants to do wireless backups for their laptop(s):

500GB FW400 backup drive connected to my Mini (would work with any desktop)

-Turn on File Sharing for both (or all) computers

-Open finder and connect to your desktop as a registered user (need to set this up beforehand, obviously)

-Laptop should now see the remote drive as a usable TM backup drive. It did want to do a new full backup (as the BUD has a new drive ID since it is not directly connected). I let it do this overnight, and now TM is doing backups as it would if I were directly connected to the drive.

Performance Review:
    I noticed no real "lag" when browsing the internet while a backup is running. A large file transfer slowed only a little during the backup, then resumed normal speeds after the backup finished.

Anyone else have another way to do this? I know not everyone has a desktop they could use, and TM doesnt work with an airdisk at the moment.

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

You are running Leopard on both right ? If so, this is known to work ... the problem is getting it to work with Airdisks, SMB, AFP or Tiger AFP.

3. insomac macrumors newbie

if anyone gets this to work with smb, a tutorial would be sweet :)

4. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I don't think its going to happen for a while ... hell, I can't even find a way to get it to work with Tiger over AFP.