I haven't charged my iPhone in a month...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by el-John-o, Feb 23, 2011.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Hey all,

So with all of this talk about replacing the dock connector with mini-USB or Lightning Bolt, I gotta say, I love the dock connector. Here's why, I have a charger next to my bed that hasn't seen use in nearly a month. In the car, it clips to a window mount and then to a dock connector cable for my radio (Alpine IDA-X200), I drop it on the dock at my desk to sync it every couple of days, it sits in a dock connector boom box, etc. It pretty much stays charged all the time.

By the way, before anyone says "Oh noes your gonna kiel your battery doing that.", I'll say what I say ALL the time on these forums. Lithium Polymer battieres are not affected by recharging from a nearly full charge, or allowing it to discharge completely, or never allowing it to get below 50%, or anything in between. Now, if your overcharge them they become a massive fireball, but luckily there is a chip in the iPhone to prevent that (and likely some sort of protective cover, since LiPo cells are actually like little soft baggies, which is not what the iPhone battery looks like). So, while they do only last a set amoung of charge/recharge cycles, it's not going to reduce my overall charge doing this.

While I'm sure Apple could make all this magic happen with a mini/micro-USB port, or a Lightning Bolt port or something, I sure do hope they have an adapter, because I already have all of these devices which won't support those new standards :(

-John

2. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Cool dude, actually you are not supposed to run the battery down completely-except once in awhile (can't recall once a month or two) to keep the battery gauge calibrated but yea partial charges are ok.:cool:

3. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Uh So basically you charge your phone all the time, just not with the charger next to your bed.....

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It sounds like you've done nothing but charge your iPhone.

5. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Imagine syncing your entire music collection in less than 30 seconds, syncing a video in less than one second.

I'm not sure the dock connector could pull that off.

Alas, the new dock connector would still allow for accessory support. Either way, they have no choice because of EU telling them to not use proprietary connectors.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Why couldn't it? It's just a fancy USB cable with extra pins for extra functionality. Or are you saying something beyond USB like Lightpeak?

7. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

What the heck are you talking about??? You are charging your phone all the time...:confused::confused::rolleyes:

8. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

It's actually healthy for those type of batteries to run almost completely dead before you recharge it once in a while.

9. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Bad title. Maybe I'm crazy but it sounds like your phone lives on a charger. It's not bad for it but this thread is meaningless.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Congrats OP on one of the most misleading thread titles I've ever seen here.

11. Mobster Sauce macrumors member

I haven't slept in a month.

I just lay down and close my eyes for 8 hours a night. My bed has been empty!

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I'll play...

I haven't taken a bath in a month!!

only take showers. :cool:

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Hmmm... I think he meant discharged....

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Hey all,

I haven't taken a dump in a month.

My stomach hurts, but it's all right :)

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

and the point of this thread is?

To the OP ... when was the last time you had a McRib sandwich from McDonald's?:cool:

16. snakelda macrumors 6502

That calls for a suppository!

17. dave420 macrumors 65816

Isn't that only for charging? As long as Apple can provide an adapter for the iPhone port that can plug into a Micro-USB for charging then they are fine.

18. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Huh? Dock Connector is just a proprietary connector for USB standards... remember when iPods used to support FireWire?

I see no reason that future dock connectors couldn't support light peak. Same connector, different underlying standard.

19. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Same OP, I never charge my iPhone, just stick it on charge every night :) Feels good man

20. Interstella5555, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I haven't stopped charging my phone for a month.

Fixed that for you, though I can say with certainty that you're going to obliterate your battery within 8 to 10 months.

21. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

And you clearly don't understand what the OP is trying to say. Because of the proliferation of dock connector gadgets (docks, car mounts, speaker systems, etc.) he has little need to ever charge his phone. Strictly speaking, if it's fully charged and sitting on a dock, it's not charging... the dock is just powering it.

It's a fair point... though I'd agree if you said the OP could have made it a bit more clearly. :)

22. darkside flow macrumors 6502

This is the strangest thread I have read in quite some time.

23. Kblakeshot macrumors member

I haven't had sex in a month...

But I made love this weekend.

24. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

nah not true....once the phone is fully charged it runs off the charging power source...I've done the same things with all the iPhones and never damaged a battery