I haven't updated my 1st gen to 2.0 yet...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 12GA, Jul 15, 2008.

1. 12GA macrumors member

and I'm a bit frightened to do so. Am I being wise or foolish? :eek: Should I wait for version 2.0.1 or jump in, the waters fine?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's not even showing up in iTunes for me. I'm on 1.1.3, and I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to go to 1.1.4 to get to 2.0...

3. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

I felt the same way when I got home from Michigan on Sunday after reading all the post about things going wrong after the update.

Anyway I said the heck with it and did it and couldn't be happier. App Store is cool and everything has been running smoothly.

Go ahead and take the plunge. You'll be glad you did.

4. 12GA thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I'm on 1.1.4 and haven't so much as attempted a synch in weeks.

Part of it is that I've been very happy with 1.1.4 and i'm afraid to screw it up.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I upgraded to 2.0 last Friday. I like it, worth doing in my opinion.

6. 12GA thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Ok, it sounds like I'm being silly so I'm going to give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the reassurance.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Just one word of caution - if you phone is unlocked don't upgrade just yet 'cos you'll re-lock it...

8. memesmith macrumors regular

The wonders of ActiveSync and apps like Super Monkey Ball and Band are worth the risk, and post upgrade (both to 1,2-2 and 1,1-2) is working fine.

9. cdinca macrumors 6502

I'd say just wait for 2.0.1

2.0 is fun and all, but there are a couple of really annoying bugs that take away from the usability of the phone. So if you really use and rely upon your phone, just wait. But, if your phone is mostly for fun, then update.

10. 12GA thread starter macrumors member

Geez now I'm getting all scared again. I really need my phone working. I've not unlocked it so that's no issue but I can't end up with a bricked iPhone either.

11. gowanis macrumors 6502

i upgraded my 1.1.4 16GB phone last Friday night. Here are some things to consider:

- the upgrade process went fine but took about 1 hour
    - the app store is very cool and the new apps definitely enhance your phone
    - when you sync with iTunes it sometimes goes through a very lengthy backup process that can take up to an hour. Annoying.
    - the contacts application is slow to respond.
    - plan on rebooting frequently due to application memory leaks slowing the phone down. sometimes the keyboard gets so slow that you have to wait 3 seconds after typing each letter.

overall i am pleased with the new functionality, but clearly Apple needs to release some fixes. I hate Apple's silence on all these matters. They should come out and say, yes we know about this and this and are working on it for the next update. Instead people just keep complaining about the problems over and over.

12. 12GA thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll wait until these issues are addressed before updating from 1.1.4