I haven't used Spaces since it came out...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Jan 15, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

...because of horrible horizontal tearing when you activate it. I wish they'd fix that.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

WTF are you talking about? This is random and pointless.
    I just started using it and I don't get what you mean about "horizontal tearing". Spaces has been brilliant for those of us who have to multitask on a day to day basis.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I've heard the phrase "horizontal tearing" before, but I'm not sure I know what you mean.

I use Spaces religiously, so if you could tell me what you're experiencing, I'll see if I go through the same thing.

What's the GPU in your Mac Pro? It could be a product of that.

4. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Google horizontal tearing.

It happens on both my 8800GT and my 7300 and every Mac I've tried it on so far. I can't stand tearing.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Do You mean the image like jumps, rather than being smooth? It Appears smooth, but actually jumps in about 5 stages.

tbh, real nitpick, as i only just noticed, and its not going to stop me using Spaces.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I just never liked horizontal tearing in my games or graphical animations. It reminds me of Windows XP and I don't like it. Therefore, if Spaces tears, then I will not use it... Simple as that.

This is what tearing looks like:
    http://www.richleader.com/images/Pulse/bargainbin/bargain_bin_review/tearing.jpg

Notice how the picture is cut in half. It happens when the graphics framerate is not in sync with the refresh rate of the screen. Apple usually avoids this by forcing the graphics to move as fast as the screen refreshes so that you never see horizontal tearing. It looks like they either forgot about it in Spaces or they sacrificed tearing for higher framerates.

8. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I love spaces. Its awesome when running Virtual machines.
    I have no tearing on my macbook.. or my hackintosh.

9. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Don't all LCD screens do that? the refresh rate is lower than CRT monitors so you get screen tearing.

It doesn't matter if you use XP or Leopard.

10. stevo8 macrumors 6502

Hey at least you have it. I'm stuck in the stone ages with core duo, tiger, maxed at 2gb ram etc.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

So one little detail is missed, that somehow makes the entire feature worthless? What happens if you get a small chip or scratch on your Mac Pro? What about your cellphone? Nothing is perfect, and everything has little flaws.

I haven't even gotten this on my *cheap* and *very bad* glossy display of my MacBook nor my 24" TN panel Samsung. So I think it's your computer. My integrated graphics card running a 13.3" and a 24" at native resolutions somehow doesn't suffer from this *flaw*.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wait, does the screen stay that way or is it just for a second during the transition?

If its the latter, IMO, thats a terrible reason for not using a great tool. BUUUUT, it would be nice if they fixed the issue, possibly SL?:D

13. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I have never experienced this on my white MB or my white 17" 2.0Ghz Intel iMac, neither of them use particularly good GPUs so I really don't know why it would happen with better GPUs, anyone know?

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

If you don't have a need for Spaces, then don't use it. It's about functionality, not necessarily the transition appearance. Spaces wasn't designed (at least I don't think it was) to be jumping about from space to space constantly like hopscotch. It simply provides a quick transition from task to task.

FWIW, I've never noticed what you are describing, and I use Spaces constantly everyday.:)

15. detz macrumors 65816

I probably couldn't use a Mac without Spaces. This is not a Spaces issue it's a graphics card issue anyway.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yup, I never noticed it, except when my CPU was at full load. but the Mac Pro has X2 the number of cores I have, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

First thing I miss when using a Windows computer, is Spaces.

17. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Side note - if you use Windows much and like this feature, you can download AutoHotKey and code your own virtual desktop script. Other than an occasional bleed-through, it works great.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't even get tearing on my 12" PB. What's wrong with your computer?

19. buyusfear macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to fix spaces from "grouping" application windows from regrouping.

I'll be using word, and have several docs open, and i'll split some from say one term onto one space, and others from another term onto another space. And then I click and they all fly into one space.. what the hell?

Also, if I open a doc from online, and don't save it, If I move it into another space, it goes nuts, and does the horizontal tearing thing and eventually jams.

Yes, these are PC related app's but seriously? At the end of the day I'm running a mac, am I not?

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The MS Office apps don't work well with Spaces. MS blames Apple. Apple blames MS.

I don't notice tearing with Spaces on my first gen Intel iMac.

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's probably a problem with the graphics drivers for the cards I'm using. I also used get tearing in Safari (until I fixed it by using the beamsync command in the terminal).

Also, as I stated earlier, Apple's OS is perfect in regards to tearing and video artifacts except for spaces (which I can't seem to fix by using beamsync), so it is NOT just like Windows XP.

It's not a big deal. Like others have said... since I don't like seeing the tearing, I choose to live without spaces... no big deal. Maybe once Apple fixes this bug, I'll give it a shot.

If anyone's wondering, this is how you force beam sync on your Mac if you are experiencing tearing:

Enter the following in the Terminal and restart:

Code:
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 2

22. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I don't experience the issue at all on my Unibody MBP.

23. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'll have to check my Mac Mini when I get home. It's a Core 2 Duo.

24. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

congrats on you. i have a friend that don't use spaces too. is so lamme watching it out doing things on the mac... like a prehistoric man doing the fire with stones

25. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

+1 and expose. i get so frustrated.