I hear a slight click when closing/opening lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derekivey, Jul 24, 2009.

1. derekivey macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I received my 15" MacBook Pro 3 days ago and tonight I happened to notice a slight click noise when i open or close the lid. It sounds like it is coming from the hinge area. I was just wondering, is this normal? Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks,
    Derek

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Mine's the same way. There's nothing to worry about. :)

3. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Mine opens smoothly without noise, though I seen other models that make the noise you describe.

I don't think its anything to really worry about, but I might visit the genius bar or call applecare just to be on the safe side.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My hinge squeaks a little bit when I open the computer.

5. derekivey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses. Since there is no Apple Store near me I'll let it go for now and see if it gets any worse.

Derek

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I received two units. Both of them arrived without any clicking/creaking.

The first unit, after 1-2 weeks of use, developed a severe click/creak problem. It would make the noise EVERY time I opened or closed the lid.

I am on my second unit now, and it is beginning to develop the same problem. The creaking is lower in amplitude, but it is the same type of problem. It also only occurs sporadically.

I believe that over time, this unit will eventually develop the same problem.

Check to see if you hinge hold up the lid when you hold it parallel to the ground. Open your lid as you would normally when viewing your computer, and then hold the screen-side of the lid face-down parallel to the floor. Does your lid stay in place or does it fall down?

On both of my units, the hinges could not hold the lid up.

Compared to the Dell Studio XPS, two IBM thinkpads, and a Panasonic toughbook, the hinge is very weak--all those other models could hold the screen up without a problem.

Another thing to consider is that the heat generated by the hinge may be contributing to the clicking/creaking, as well as the overall weakness of the chassis where the heat vent is.