Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianSalts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
coming out of my black macbook. is this the dreaded whine? i can't afford to send it back right now, can any of you confirm this?

It's only noticeable when the fan of my macbook is running low and when there's no noise in my room, which doesn't happen that frequently, but i do enjoy the peace and quiet until the noise kicks in.

my macbook is made in week 36, and was shipped directly from china.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
Is it from the magsafe plug in?
My white macbooks magsafe makes a static noise that isnt audible unless its quiet, sometimes the fans muffle it.. but it can be annoying...

So check if its coming from the magsafe, and if it is, whats the deal with that?
mine does it too.. anyone have any answers?

cboissel

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2006
MA
dito

I just started having the same problem, although mine has nothing to do with the magsafe.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
This is normal. All macbooks have this noise. It should be coming from the left side of the keyboard, around the shift key and should be the the pitch B6, right? The noise sometimes should be a stright pitch and sometimes turns to a static-like or sizzling sound. The same noise comes from the power adaptor as well though it is slightly louder. It is the sound of the idling of one core of the cpu from what I understand. To remove the noise you can open Photo Booth (try it and you will hear the noise disappear) though I am unsure why this works.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
manosaurus said:
This is normal.

Ew, I hate it when people think a known hardware screwup is normal... :( Boo Apple!

manosaurus said:
To remove the noise you can open Photo Booth (try it and you will hear the noise disappear) though I am unsure why this works.

Perhaps it is because the core idling before suddenly needs to be used to render the pictures in Photobooth?

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
hrmmmmm the photobooth trick seems to work great, except now i have an annoying green light on haha

but i do wonder why that work as well...Maybe one day we will see a software update that fixes this, because it must be fixable if photobooth running fixes it..

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Jiddick ExRex said:
Ew, I hate it when people think a known hardware screwup is normal... :( Boo Apple!

Well, this noise is present on every MacBook that I have come in contact with (several dozen) and in addition to that I have spoke with Applecare reps that reported to me that the noise was indeed normal.

I am interested in your reply though, detached and condescending as it was. Provide a link if you would be so kind that shows me that this is something that Apple has worked out and has publicly said that is a "screwup" of the MacBook hardware.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
My Dell laptop does this too. It has something to do with the processor running idle. Two things always fixed it, however - plugging in a USB memory stick, and activating my bluetooth. Both make the noise go away. So I just keep my bluetooth always on, and no noise!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.