I hear voices...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carlgo, Mar 29, 2012.

1. carlgo macrumors 68000

from advertisement that start up half-way through a Safari web browse or a YouTube video. I can mute of course, but that isn't a good solution. So annoying. Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. carlgo thread starter macrumors 68000

No, just have the pop-up control selected. Do you have an ad-blocker suggestion? And this phenomenon is new to me, just the last couple of weeks or so. Thanks for any help.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. carlgo thread starter macrumors 68000

That's quite a list! Do they each address a certain kind of ad? What I am thinking is that in some cases there is a drop-down menu and if I select something there, an ad that may be behind it somehow gets activated. It is like the drop-down menu lets the selection get through to what is behind it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, some are overlap, such as Safari AdBlock and Glimmerblocker, but there are cases where an ad is stopped by one where the other wouldn't stop it. ClickToFlash is for controlling which flash content plays, whether ads or not. JavaScript Blacklist specifically deals with blocking JavaScript. I would at least recommend ClickToFlash and one of first two others.
    Even with multiple ad-blockers, it's possible that some ads get through, by you actively clicking on something. However, it's pretty rare that I see any ads.

7. carlgo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for your help. I started out with Adblocker and will go one at a time.

Now I need to deal with the stupid kcferrordomaincfnetwork303 error that prevents Safari from opening many web sites...Firefox works fine, so it is a Safari thing.