I hit a dog

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KyPosey, Dec 31, 2008.

1. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

So i was coming home from work kinda late, I wasn't driving fast due to the fact there is always deer....Well somehow this dog came across 3 other lanes and then into mine, i had no where to go it happend so fast. I locked up my brakes and slammed into him. I threw my hazzards on and called 911. I didnt get out of my car incase it was still alive and i wasn't sure what kind of dog it was. The cop showed up and took care of it... I feel HORRIBLE, after i got out i found out it was a boarder collie =(. My car has a TON of damage on it, needs a new bumper, new grilles, new lights, new lip, all the belly pans are missing and the fender liner is gone.

Anyone else do something similar to this? I seriously couldnt sleep at all last night i kept seeing this horrible image in my head.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh that's awful! :( It's not your fault though.

I do know a bit what it's like but what happened in my case was a bit more gruesome and I am not sure I should explain. It churns my stomach to this day.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sorry to hear that, and of course I feel bad for the poor dog too, but I agree, it's not your fault.

Hell, I got freaked out enough once when, in the dark, I ran over a deer carcass that someone had already run over. The animal was clearly dead, but it had obviously only been hit a few minutes before, because much of its carcass was still intact; it hadn't been...flattened.

Yecch.

(BTW, iBlue, I love the Cylon cat.)

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hit a deer back in the '80's, as I was driving a 1973 Ford Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood Movie) near McChord Air Force Base in Washington, and the deer just came outta' nowhere and bam! I jumped out and the poor thing was stuck in my grill, (it was a four-point buck) so I proceeded to pull on its antlers and neck, and it started to shake violently and broke free and ran off into the woods. My front end had about $1,000 in damage, and my nerves were shot for about a week. Every time I drove around that curve, I would slowdown and look for that four-point buck, but never saw it again...:eek:

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Thats terrible, for both of you... But you did the right thing. I'm sure some people would of
      1. Say, yes another one :(:eek::eek:
      2. Drive away
      3. Laugh, then drive away

But you didn't so

GOOD ON YA!

6. KyPosey thread starter macrumors regular

KyPosey

I have an aftermarket suspension on my car....we got word of snow so i raised it back up. I dont even want to think about what would have happened if i was still tucking tire. ugh.

But ive had a few close calls, but nothing like this. I just hate the fact i hit some kids pet.

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Sort of unrelated, but does your insurance cover *that*
    I have heard of instances near my city where people have hit Deer (common problem) and their insurance did not cover it. Some have even said that hitting a deer isn't even an act of God.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I would feel awful too, but it's not your fault. Did it have a id tag? If so, did you contact the owners?

9. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

since the cop took care of it it's very possible the cop took the tags off and talked to the owner so the OP didn't have to deal with it.

my mom got hit by a deer once and it ruined the side of her car, granted i was like 2 years old when this happened and i wasn't in the car, so i don't know much about it.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm glad you did the right thing, and it does happen with the best of intentions, because of strays and because of people who do not keep their pets safe. I actually almost hit a dog ... a little guy, maybe a terrier of some kind, on the way from Jacksonville to Gainesville today. It was galloping in the ditch on the side of the road and then crossed my lane into the passing lane, stuck around there, and then jumped into my lane. Fortunately I was able to slow down quickly, and the dog had the sense to jump out of the way also.

11. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I ran over a puppy once while the owners were outside. I felt awful and my dog was in the car with me so I was afraid. But the dog was crossing the road and I figured he'd just finish crossing the road so I kinda swerved around him and he decided last minute to go back the way he came. I think the worst part was when the owners came to the dog and he was all twitchy, kinda still alive, but they just threw him in the woods. I felt awful :(

12. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

How fast were you going? And how big was the dog? Thats a lot of damage for hitting a dog it seems.

What kind of car is it?

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

These things happen. You handle it the best you can.

I watch my dog get hit. Fortunately he was dead before he stopped rolling, but I'll always remember the woman driver crying. She was inconsolable, even to her husband, who was with her.

We lived in the country at the time, so save your lectures, please. He saw a rabbit at the farm across the road, and that was that.

14. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Only if he has Comprehensive insurance; the expensive stuff otherwise he is screwed

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

17. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Exactly! If anything I would be more upset about what I was gonna do to the owner of that poor dog. :mad:

18. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Oh dear. Is it wrong that I laughed at that? :p

19. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My dad hit a dog a few years ago. He was driving down a main road, a dog ran right out in front of him, he slammed on the brakes but couldn't stop in time. The dog was still alive but was severely injured. My dad is a huge dog fanatic so as you can imagine he was pretty distraught.

Animals don't understand the danger of cars until it happens to them, and when it does happen its usually the end for them. You just have to accept that things happen, it wasn't your fault, and you have to move on. If it was your fault insurance would screw you for it but it's probably covered as an "act of god".

Stopping and getting out is a tough thing to do but you did the right thing.

I've hit a few things- 1 deer (it lived), 2 squirrels, a chipmunk, a bird, a snake, and a couple baby birds crossing the street (I live in a fairly rural place). Dogs must be tough though, in that they are domesticated.

Edit: and a skunk. it was in the middle of the highway and I was going about 75 and had no options, I was boxed in and couldn't slam on my brakes in tight traffic.