I hit a wall...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Loves2spoon, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Been working out really hard for the past 3 months, lots of cardio and weight lifting. I have no more motivation to work out, getting on the treadmill or lifting weights feels like a choir now. I usually run 5-8 miles a day but I get bored after 1, I try and do some bicep curls and I can't get myself to do more than 5 than just go home.

I've tried drinking some coffee but that didn't help. I have plenty of energy and eat healthy everyday.

Any suggestions?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

not tired. :D

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

only kidding around ...

some serious advice ... take a break from it for a bit ... over-doing it can really make it seem like work after a while.

the passion will come back ... you are on the right track

cheers

5. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

:)

I usually take 1-2 days off every week, maybe I'll try running in a new area. Girls in Yoga pants = motivation... lol

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Take a break by mixing it up. Go run outside, go play soccer or something. Weight lifting gets particularly boring if you're not training for an event. Ever thought of doing a half marathon or get into biking? Muscles are cool, but finishing a race is good conversation.

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

your thread title sounded more spectacular, than it really is.

funny how "hitting a wall" prove really boring (no action).

anyway, how about changing activities?

8. phas3 macrumors 65816

what is your diet like? How many calories are you taking in daily?

As for cardio try HIIT, I hate running but HIIT is where it's at. Burns more cals than doing 1 hour of cardio, and you only do it for no more than 20 minutes. It's fat burning effect can last up to 36 hours after a HIIT session.

9. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

That seems like something to look into! :eek:

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try eating more food that is rich in vitamins, essential fatty acids and protein for energy. also try drinking protein shakes as they help with recovery as well as muscle building.

11. phas3 macrumors 65816

Here's a simple routine for HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training):

Warm up by walking for 5 minutes
    Sprint 30 seconds
    Walk/slight jog 60 seconds
    Repeat that for no more than 15-20 minutes
    Finish off with a 5 minute cool down.

this should not be done more than 3x per week as you are putting your through a lot with this routine.

Figure out what your max BPM(beats per minute) for your age
    formula = 220 - Age = Max BPM

and sprint no higher than 90% of your max BPM.

I would also recommend getting a heart rate monitor the Omron HR-100C from amazon for 33 dollars is cheap and amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000A5CEUO

12. phas3 macrumors 65816

also you could be eating healthy but not taking in enough calories. Do you count calories at all?

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Introduce competition into it.

Make a bet with a friend who also lifts on how much you can improve in a short time period. Bet a dinner or something.

Or you could do something like play basketball instead of lifting. Basketball is great exercise, it's fun, and improves overall conditioning very well.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Every 3-4 months, you should take a week off. I don't mean that you should go crazy and eat whatever you want. Just take a week off from your exercise routine.

During my week off I usually come up with some new exercise to try out when I get back into working out.

Trust me, by the end of the week, you'll be itching to get back to the gym.

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Find a buddy or a group of people to start training with - you could find a friend to start training with at the gym, or you could find a sports group to join and condition yourself there. I've found it's far easier and more rewarding to do exercise when you have others to do it with, it's easier to motivate yourself.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you have a goal, for this work out, or doing it just because?

I find that if I have a race coming up, I'm more motivated to train.

Also hook up with friends who share the same interest in working out. They'll help you keep motivated.

As for running and being bored, is this on a treadmill? If so, try outside, running on a treadmill is boring, outside is a lot more fun. Also use an iPod with your run/workouts, having music play will help pass the time

17. nizz macrumors regular

Do some sports!

Personally, I think people who can run hours on end(routinely) are weird. I get super bored doing that stuff too.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Count me as weird. I can run for hours without any music or headphones. I just get into a zone and lose myself. ;)

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Take up squash/racquet ball.

A great work-out, at the higher levels of play.

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Or even at low levels. :eek: I'm getting back into squash after 22 years of not playing at all, and about 10 years of very little exercise. Squash is a great workout in regards to getting a lot out of it for even short periods (30 mins - 1 hour sessions) because it's pretty intense. It's social and fun in addition, and it's also fine to go by yourself to practice alone. I took a lesson with the pro guy at the place I play, just so I'd have an idea of what sort of technique I could work on when I'm there by myself.

Since you're in great shape to begin with, you'll rock in no time at all. :D

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You just need to change your routine. I work out 5 days a week taking Wednesday and Sunday as off days. I stagger my workouts to where I only exercise one body part or group every 8-9 days. What that does is aid in keeping your muscles and body from getting too accustomed to doing the same exercises on the same day. Even after all that, I still change up my routine of exercises every couple of months. In fact I just changed my chest day up and I got a great workout from it which I haven't felt in a while.

But sometimes I just need to take a half of a week to a week off altogether just to let my body recover. That is kind of what I've done this week; I took the last three days off and will go back to the gym today.

Another person in this thread mentioned HIIT. I have a good friend who trains that way and he is in phenomenal shape from it and he swears by it. His brother on the other hand doesn't believe in that style and practically lives in the gym. He is in great shape too, but does a different, more traditional style of exercising.

Short of injuring yourself, there is almost no wrong way of exercising. But you really should consider changing your routine enough to keep from getting bored, to keep your body from getting too accustomed and to break plateau's.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Exactly, although his joints might need some work.

I have played both, well, but I preferred racquetball. More ball speed, and roll-outs. Loved roll-outs. :D

23. phas3 macrumors 65816

I do a 4 day split with 3 days of HIIT

I've never gotten bored...I also count my daily calorie intake and log in everything I eat and make sure my macros are spot on.

As long as my lifts are improving I'll never get bored..

24. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I had this problem too and then I realiz I need toswitch things around every week.

so one day I'll go swimmming
    one day rock climbing wall
    one day basketball
    one day raquetball
    one day treadmill
    one day I'll go to a cardio class

as long as I keep switching I'll keep going to the gym and not loose motivation