I hope Apple could disable Search on SpringBoard

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eckndu, Jun 22, 2009.

1. eckndu macrumors member

I think I accidentally activated the search screen like 50+ times today. either buy flipping pages and pressing the home button. I know this search function is very useful for ppl with 8 pages of apps, but before that happens to me, and I hope apple can give us the ability to disable this feature. Or create an app icon for search/spotLight instead.

2. vijer macrumors newbie

I agree

This is a stupid feature. Really just like the 100,000+ apps on the app store, most are duplicates of other apps and most are crap. So when you break it down there are really about 30 real apps.

Anyway, I have 5 pages with about 4 apps on each page, one for the apps I use all the time, one for finance apps, one for games, one for images, one misc, etc. so finding what I want is guick. For the goof balls that like to search for apps and launch them with the search function that is seriously idotic. It takes longer to type in the name of the app than it does to flip through 5 pages.

And if you tell me you need to search for documents, or songs then you really are a moron. Its a phone not a computer and if you are storing that many documents on the iPhone you are a dope, and iPod has it's own search function so having a special page for it is stupid.

But for the dopes that think the search function is good how would you feel if all of a sudden Apple eliminated the feature? You would not be happy, so why doesn't Apple make this a feature you can turn on/off. That way the dopes that like it can keep it turned on along with the 100 apps they installed and the smart people can turn the annoying search function off.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Or you're an idiot for under-utilizing your pocket computer. If you actually use your iPhone, its a handy feature. If you JB your phone you can use it to search the web.

I do agree that you should be able to turn it off.

4. Doju macrumors 68000

:confused:

What on earth are you on about? There's almost 30 CATEGORIES, let alone 30 real apps. Are you saying there's 3,000 copies of each app?

Wow, people need to think before they type. There's easily ten thousand uniquely useful apps.

5. Rusalka macrumors regular

Rusalka

Please elaborate. Would love this feature.

6. sfditty macrumors regular

Search is the primary way I open frequently used apps that aren't on my first two pages" Double-clicking the home button (if you have it set up that way) and typing the first two or three letters of the app is a very efficient technique IMHO. But then again, I'm clearly a moron according to the OP, so please be advised to take my reply with due skepticism.

7. azsprty macrumors 6502

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

So turn off the home button for search. There's a setting for it. (Settings>Home>pick something else)

It's not that complicated to stop flipping to the search page, it's always the first page and you can see where you are by looking at the page icons on the bottom.

9. eckndu thread starter macrumors member

^ yeah thanks. I know it's hard to believe, but since i posted this, I've spend like six months and I actually figured that out!:eek:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, there is no setting for it.
    What you're reffering to is double-clicking the home button.
    Theres no way to hit the home button while home without bringing up search.
    Hope they enable an on/off switch for it. For some it is a pain and waste of time.

11. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

annoying and a waste of time

Those of you who keep saying, "Oh I like the spotlight feature" well good for ****in' you!!! Your opinions don't matter. You guys are probably the same people who like the snow leopard feature on macs where if you press the play/pause button on the apple remote, iTunes automatically opens up.

There HAS to be a way to get rid of the spotlight page. It is so annoying, especially when you have "smoothboard" installed from cydia.

You can argue either way: the fact that spotlight is useful for some, and the fact that spotlight is a buzzkill. Both sides have valid points, but for those of US who hate it, well, there NEEDS to be a way to disable it entirely.

12. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I wish instead of the spotlight search being the main feature when we swipe to the left screen we get a page with notifications- latest calls, emails, sms, app notifications all bundled into one page, the spotlight search can still be at the top(even though I'll probably still never use it)

13. WilliamG macrumors G3

I agree with this thread. The Spotlight page drives me nuts, and not being able to disable it drives me more nuts.

14. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I just use it to search the web and wikipedia, it's great for that so I deleted the wikipedia app. But I've disabled it to search anything else (apps, music, etc...)

Good feature and I use it a lot but I agree I wish you could turn off when you press the home button it goes to that.