I hope Apple owns some stock in Western Digital

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Monkaaay, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Monkaaay macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

Because you can be sure that those external drives will be flying off the shelves in the next few days with Leopard's release. I just bought a 500GB myself. :D

2. rmh macrumors regular

Haha no kidding. I have two. I bought one way before Leopard, and the other one because it was only 129$ for 500GB.

3. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Sorry but I wouldn't wipe my ass with a Western Digital disc....

4. Monkaaay thread starter macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

Everybody has an opinion man. For every story you may have about WD, someone has one for your disk vendor of choice. Welcome to electronics. :)

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i wouldn't be at all surprised if they brought out their own branded external HD.

6. rmh macrumors regular

*sigh of relief*
    Thats good, I was worried you would tried to steal my HD's once you ran out of toilet paper!

Anywyay, I've heard crap about WD, but the drives have been serving me well for over a year now, so I can't complain.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Haven't you got toilet paper in Wales yet? :p

8. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Probably a good thing, they have sharp edges and bottoms can be sensitive.

9. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

What's toilet paper? :)

10. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

WD has great reliability but as far as noise they are like a railroad track crossing. :mad:

11. dborja macrumors 6502a

While we're on the subject...

Any killer deals out there on external drives?

I'm set to use a "homebrew" 320GB USB drive but I'm keeping an eye open since mine doesn't sleep; neither when commanded by my iMac nor on its own...

12. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have been using WD for over 10 years and I won't buy anything else. I have had the highest success rate with their drives. Hell, I have a few 10GB drives laying around that are still kicking.

They also have a great fast turn around on RMAs. Unlike many other vendors, they will ship you a new drive *before* you send in yours. As an owner of a few raid 5 setups, this really helps.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I know that's right. I use to buy the retail WDs at BestBuy and after 2-3 years they'd always go kerplop. Always. Everyone. And I had a lot. No wonder they had to go from a 3 year warranty to 1 year. I switched to Seagate and (knock on wood) they've always done me right. Never a failed drive. If you are going to buy WD at least go for the Enterprise rated drives. You have a better chance with those. Stay away from the retail versions sold at the big box stores.

14. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Have you called them lately? They have some of the worse customer service I've ever encountered. I had to pay for shipping on my RMA on a new unit. The last two drives I bought from them died, one came dead. I've had and seen WD drives that have lasted for 10+ years, sure, but I won't touch them after my last few experiences. Shame on me for using their crappy RAID enclosures to begin with. It wasn't the drives that failed by the way, it was the RAID controller, plus the upside down fans. Yes the fans are mounted upside down as they come from the factory in the MyBookII Pros. They suck air in. It's laughable until you lose all your data. Then its not so funny.

15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I just had that very conversation with the checkout clerk at CompUSA. Bought a 500GB LaCie Porsche for $149. Don't tell me if I got screwed :eek: