I hope Apple owns some stock in Western Digital

Monkaaay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Richmond, VA
Because you can be sure that those external drives will be flying off the shelves in the next few days with Leopard's release. I just bought a 500GB myself. :D

rmh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Haha no kidding. I have two. I bought one way before Leopard, and the other one because it was only 129$ for 500GB.

Comment

rmh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Sorry but I wouldn't wipe my ass with a Western Digital disc....
*sigh of relief*
Thats good, I was worried you would tried to steal my HD's once you ran out of toilet paper!

Anywyay, I've heard crap about WD, but the drives have been serving me well for over a year now, so I can't complain.

Comment

jstad

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
WD has great reliability but as far as noise they are like a railroad track crossing. :mad:

Comment

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
While we're on the subject...

Any killer deals out there on external drives?

I'm set to use a "homebrew" 320GB USB drive but I'm keeping an eye open since mine doesn't sleep; neither when commanded by my iMac nor on its own...

Comment

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have been using WD for over 10 years and I won't buy anything else. I have had the highest success rate with their drives. Hell, I have a few 10GB drives laying around that are still kicking.

They also have a great fast turn around on RMAs. Unlike many other vendors, they will ship you a new drive *before* you send in yours. As an owner of a few raid 5 setups, this really helps.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Sorry but I wouldn't wipe my ass with a Western Digital disc....
I know that's right. I use to buy the retail WDs at BestBuy and after 2-3 years they'd always go kerplop. Always. Everyone. And I had a lot. No wonder they had to go from a 3 year warranty to 1 year. I switched to Seagate and (knock on wood) they've always done me right. Never a failed drive. If you are going to buy WD at least go for the Enterprise rated drives. You have a better chance with those. Stay away from the retail versions sold at the big box stores.

Comment

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
I have been using WD for over 10 years and I won't buy anything else. I have had the highest success rate with their drives. Hell, I have a few 10GB drives laying around that are still kicking.

They also have a great fast turn around on RMAs. Unlike many other vendors, they will ship you a new drive *before* you send in yours. As an owner of a few raid 5 setups, this really helps.
Have you called them lately? They have some of the worse customer service I've ever encountered. I had to pay for shipping on my RMA on a new unit. The last two drives I bought from them died, one came dead. I've had and seen WD drives that have lasted for 10+ years, sure, but I won't touch them after my last few experiences. Shame on me for using their crappy RAID enclosures to begin with. It wasn't the drives that failed by the way, it was the RAID controller, plus the upside down fans. Yes the fans are mounted upside down as they come from the factory in the MyBookII Pros. They suck air in. It's laughable until you lose all your data. Then its not so funny.

Comment

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Because you can be sure that those external drives will be flying off the shelves in the next few days with Leopard's release. I just bought a 500GB myself. :D
I just had that very conversation with the checkout clerk at CompUSA. Bought a 500GB LaCie Porsche for $149. Don't tell me if I got screwed :eek:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.