Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6XJpQSgAc
I don't know if anyone has seen the Windows 7 commercial, but it does raise an interesting point. A lot of what I want my phone to do, doesn't necessarily require that I spend more than a second with my phone. It seems like a crappy ad at first glance, jealous even. Microsoft may be jealous of the fact that we spend so much time immersed in our phones, but they are right. My iphone does requires attention or is at least too distracting when all I really want to know is what time it is, whether or not its going to rain, and how many more appointments I have today. If Windows 7 does a better job of that, I might not switch, but I'd be jealous. The iphone could be better organized to present you with the most useful info either without unlocking your phone or on a revised home screen.
Another good question is why wasn't the nano more like the Sony Ericsson LiveStream? It could have put useful data on the nano, but instead they just made a trinket.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/28/sony-ericsson-liveview-acts-as-a-1-3-inch-remote-control-for-you/
Both of these are great ideas that I'm sure Apple can use and improve on.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's a good ad for a stripped-down business phone without things like games or youtube on it.

But, uhm, that's not what the Windows phone is. So I'm not sure what their point is.

Seems like this should be some kind of Blackberry ad.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I can sorta see their angle, but at the same time, I don't really see how their phone will make us less "involved" with it. If their selling point are those "active tiles" on the home screen, I guess it would really depend on what's in them.

Personally, the active tiles that will be spinning, scrolling, fading in and out, might just be too busy for my tastes. And, aren't they just "lead-ins" to the application itself? If anything, they'd be too tempting to always go into, making you even more "involved" with your phone, which would negate the point of the commercial.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
I hope Apple does not respond to those ads. Ads are useless, Apple should spend its money on inventing new things.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Reminds me of my trip to Disneyland. While the kids were playing, I saw alot of folks staring at the screen of their phones. Maybe 1 out if every 5 people.

The girl in lingerie was pretty hot. No wonder divorce rates and infidelity has gone up. But the funniest part to me was the guy who dropped his phone in the restroom. "Really?"

We use our phones to connect, yet, find ourselves so disconnected with the rest of the world.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
There's nothing to respond to. And if Apple responded, it would put them in a weaker position as it would imply that they felt threatened. They haven't gone after Amazon for their ad either - have they? Why? Because they are having their products stand on their own without responding to other companies taking pot shots.

The second they start responding - they look weak. Which is why many (myself included) were rather surprised at the Antennagate press conference where instead of admitting an issue outright - they started pointing fingers at others. But that's another argument altogether.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
Reminds me of my trip to Disneyland. While the kids were playing, I saw alot of folks staring at the screen of their phones. Maybe 1 out if every 5 people.

[...]

We use our phones to connect, yet, find ourselves so disconnected with the rest of the world.

So true. I really like the Windows Phone ad. It's better than any ad Apple ever made. We should "get back to what really matters" more often.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
There's nothing to respond to. And if Apple responded, it would put them in a weaker position as it would imply that they felt threatened. They haven't gone after Amazon for their ad either - have they? Why? Because they are having their products stand on their own without responding to other companies taking pot shots.

Apple does respond to competitor ads. Within weeks of Microsoft pushing their Laptop Hunter ads with Lauren the "Real Person" shopping for a cheap laptop under $1000, they respond with an ad of their own with Megan. Then their was the iPhone ad that attacked Verizon with "Can your phone and your network do that" in response to Verizon's "Theirs a map for that" Ad campaign claiming to have 5x more 3G coverage than AT&T. Then we have the countless "I'm a Mac" ads all attacking Microsoft and Vista.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I hope Apple does not respond to those ads. Ads are useless, Apple should spend its money on inventing new things.

Yeah, because an entire industry made to bring you ads and commercials will never make it!

Who the hell needs to see a product displayed in an informative way before they make a purchase? I know I just drive to a store, walk in, pick item A off the shelf without knowing a thing about it..... works for me :rolleyes:

I liked the commercial and LOL'd at the lady falling down and taking the other lady out with her! Basically they have widgets on their home screen..... been there done that with my iPhone, next!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple does respond to competitor ads. Within weeks of Microsoft pushing their Laptop Hunter ads with Lauren the "Real Person" shopping for a cheap laptop under $1000, they respond with an ad of their own with Megan. Then their was the iPhone ad that attacked Verizon with "Can your phone and your network do that" in response to Verizon's "Theirs a map for that" Ad campaign claiming to have 5x more 3G coverage than AT&T. Then we have the countless "I'm a Mac" ads all attacking Microsoft and Vista.

I believe it was ATT who responded to Verizon. And I also believe that Apple hasn't done any competitive ads with other phone manufacturers - which is what we're talking about. I wasn't referring to their computer line.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I think it's a good ad, it has nice rhythm, great message, it is visually strong...

But no more iPhone ads, please! Here, in the UK, there are so many Apple ads on TV that it is already embarrassing.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
this is pretty much an attack on Apple's ecosystem, where Uncle Steve wants you to play in his controlled App Store environment. He WANTS you to keep using it and buying up applications, accessories, etc.

Its the reality distortion field that everyone talks about with Apple.

this same Microsoft ad can fit well for Android, as the Android OS is used as a means to just access information (think voice actions, voice commands, voice search)

In essence, don't let the phone dictate your life, but let the phone function as a complement to your everyday life.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
How do you want them to respond, with another ad showing what?

I never care about ads, but they could do more to make the phone a more streamlined experience for the essential data. Improving the lock screen with something like lockinfo would be a start. Notifications. After having lived with the iphone for 2 years, the phone is distracting. Much of the time, there is simple info you want that the phone could be designed to convey at a glance, but it just isn't. Apple has been good at offering you the best solution for each problem but they seem to take a year and a half which feels so painful every time. I will grant that they usually get it right, but its annoying having to wait for what seem life simple adjustments to make. Especially when the people jailbroken phones get these problems solved very quickly.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
It's a good ad for a stripped-down business phone without things like games or youtube on it.

But, uhm, that's not what the Windows phone is. So I'm not sure what their point is.

Seems like this should be some kind of Blackberry ad.

I think they're just trying to convey that they will keep stuff out of the way. It is supposed to work with Xbox so I'm sure it does games. The cool thing is that it keeps the distracting stuff out of the way. Not a bad idea.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
Is it just me or is the UI ugly beyond belief? I love the iphone home screens and android home screens. Both have an elegant and clean appearance. Windows looks blockish (mono colored as well). You may be able to change the ugly blue-screen-of-death blue, but it still won't be as nice as current smart phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.