I hope I'm in the right place

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by M&M, Jul 31, 2008.

1. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

I'm new into Mac, but I got a question that I can't get an honest anwser.

Can I install some of the apps that I have already on my MacBook Pro into another Mac that I will get soon?:confused: Or do I have to buy them again?:eek:

Thanks

2. M&M thread starter macrumors regular

M&M

Aperture 2
    Final Cut Express
    Photoshop CS3

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As long as you legally bought them and have the license keys, you shouldn't have a problem.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Well, you can just use the disks to install on your new machine.

You'll need to check the license agreement for each app to see if it allows installation on more than one machine. If it doesn't then you'll have to remove it from your old machine before installing on your new one.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

If you've got the original discs or links to where you downloaded the software – along with any serials, of course – then there's no reason why you can't install the apps on your new computer. Of course, if you use Time Machine or migration assistant to transfer stuff from your old Mac to your new one then you'll be able to transfer your apps this way.

The only real issue is are you going to be using two Macs or are you selling your old one? If you're keeping both, then check out the licence for your apps as many have limits on the number of computers they can be installed on.

6. M&M thread starter macrumors regular

M&M

Thank you all for your replys. I will check on the license agreement. :)

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If it's a new system, when you first turn it on it'll ask if you'd like to transfer your "stuff." Answer yes and click every box available. Then you'll restart in target disk mode and your new mac should look like your old mac including the app's. You may want to turn old mac off while you check everything for operation.