I hope they'll finally allow attachments

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by lexxi89, Jun 17, 2013.

1. lexxi89 macrumors member

It's been needed for a very long time. A file manager and the ability to upload files would be a big welcome for ios 7.

2. .sky macrumors newbie

iOS 7 is feature complete as of the WWDC announcement, sans a mystery feature which will only work with the iPhone 5S.

Maybe we'll see a file manager in iOS 8. :(
    In the mean time: Use that janky share-sheet thing, and copy+paste.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iOS has long allowed attachments.

5. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Try copying an attachment from an email and putting it in another email. Let me know how that goes.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Saved attachment to app.

Reattached to new email using app.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371496516.239185.jpg

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I doubt we'll ever see a file manager in iOS.
    Like others have said, file attachments have been allowed for a very long time. In iOS 6 we were able to add a picture or video from the mail app whereas before, you had to simply "share photo" from the photos app. I don't see any way to add a document from the mail app though without having to leave mail to go to whatever app you used to create the document.

Hope that makes sense.

----------

You're talking about something that the OP isn't. At least I don't think. I don't think he is asking to take an attachment from one e-mail to the other without saving it somewhere first. Even still, I think it has been demonstrated that it does work. I've done that with photos myself.

8. robjulo, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

robjulo macrumors 6502a

You just saved the app and created a whole new email. I'm talking about copying an attachment and pasting it into an existing email (or allowing it to be saved and attached), ie Bob sends an email to a group of people saying "where is that spreadsheet". Joe sends me an email with the spreadsheet. I cannot simply copy that speadsheet from Joe's email into a "reply all" email to Bob and the rest of the people. I have to save the spreadsheet and then use the app I saved to "ie the sandbox" to create a new email with the spreadsheet and then re-add all the people who need to see it.

Am I wrong?

9. Night Spring, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I haven't done this in a while, but I believe it worked the last time I tried this.

EDIT: And I just tried again, and it worked. The trick is, tapping directly on the attachment doesn't let you copy it, but if you select the attachment along with some text, then copy and paste into another email, the attachment get pasted along with the text.

10. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Good info!

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree. Just a basic, Apple-esque file manager would work. It would automatically group files.

I hate how files only live in apps - you're forced to remember what app your file lives in and if you ever delete the app, you lose the files.

12. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

The more we make iOS like android, the more we realize why android is laggy and slow...

Serious business is done on my work computer...Keeping in touch is what my phone is for. I just LOVE the fluid animations that is iOS. I dont think iOS could be this smooth with a central file system.

Imagine the A5 from the 4s in the Galaxy Note 2 ;)

13. bertishere macrumors member

you can add functions like this without compromising anything in the OS..

14. thisrocks, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

thisrocks macrumors regular

thisrocks

OT from the original, but on thread topic of File management:

I've noticed much better local caching in my Skydrive app on iOS 7, as far as to say things are actually being cached.

Nuts to a filesystem if I can use Skydrive and or Google Drive and control the level of caching they have, that's good enough for me.

As we all know, Apple's idea of file management is within their dedicated app, and in some cases (hnnggg) multiple apps. "Photos", "Music", "Audio Compositions", "Videos", "Podcasts", "Documents", "Spread Sheets", "Keynotes"... for some reason these all need to be silo'd out in our current Apple scenario.

The biggest annoyances are: Aperture and iPhoto, Final Cut Pro and iMovie, and Logic and Garage Band; especially with a Mac and an SSD involved :eek::eek::eek: