I hope this annoyance is gone from iOS 10

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by jwolf6589, Jun 25, 2016.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Try watching some of your iCloud movies on your iPhone/iPad and watch how your free space goes down. This is a real annoyance as I have many movies and TV shows and only 16GB's units. Its such a problem that I have subscribed to Netflix where I can stream movies and TV shows without my space running out on my IOS device. I sure wish Apple will get up to date with their streaming video service.

2. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Well to be fair, it isn't a streaming service.

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You can stream iCloud movies (movies you've added from Digital Copies, or purchased through iTunes) But unfortunately for the OP it caches data. Fortunately for the OP cache is always cleared as space is needed automatically.

4. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Why does it have to cache data? Why does the Netflix app not do the same (thankfully)?

5. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Just in case network speed is not fast enough to let you "read data on a remote hard drive just like reading data on a local hard drive ". Hope you can understand this mindset.
    And I am sure Netflix does the same. The size is smaller though.

6. Helvitis macrumors newbie

Helvitis

I have to say its annoying too, I have a 128 gig iPad pro and noticed that 40 gigs was taken up with the cache

7. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

No it does not. I check my space all the time and it remains the same.

8. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Just a wild guess here. Netflix doesn't have to since it has variable image quality depending on how fast your connections is. Apple videos is a set quality that is not flexible so it has to cache to not stutter in case of the quality of the connection getting worse.

9. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

For one thing Apple has complete control over the OS. So Apple can clear the cache whenever you need that space. So you shouldn't stress over what the numbers say since this space is available for you as you need it.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But how do you know what space is taken up by the cache, and what space is truly unavailable? Is there a easy way to find out? If not, it makes it difficult to manage space.

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

If you start getting space warnings it's probably not just cache. If you don't get space warnings you don't need to manage anything.

12. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Then it may use the same technology as YouTube uses. Variable bit rate to accomodate with bandwidth.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do I need to delete older podcasts before downloading the next one? How many more minutes of video can I take? Do I need to delete this 1GB app, or will deleting the 500mb one be enough? There are plenty of reasons for needing to know the exact amount of free space you have.

14. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Sounds like a much better way to stream video than what Apple uses.

15. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Unlike Youtube Apple keeps the picture and sound quality consistent. Most people who buy movies and shows want the quality to be equal to what they paid for.

16. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

That must be why when I try and play a video on my iOS device via iCloud it buffers quite a bit because I have a standard WIFI router. But have never had this problem with Netflix.

17. Paco II macrumors 65816

Exactly why Netflix did that. They found that getting a show started quickly was very important and that most shows have intro credits etc that people don't care about. Quality starts low but ramps up very quickly. End result was happier customers.

18. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Keep in mind Apple can't do this since people are buying. Doing this could (likely would) lead to a class action suit.

19. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

The end result is I only watch movies on my Mac purchased via iCloud but with Netflix I can watch all the Twilight Zone (besides season 4) and Star Trek I want on all my devices and it starts off where I left off. It's cool as it even works over LTE. However 3G buffers quite a bit.