I hurt my printer's feelings?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hawkeye9935, Sep 21, 2009.

1. hawkeye9935 macrumors newbie

To the point, here's the issue: I have a MBP (older model) and I have been using a HP Photosmart D5069 printer for about the last year, no issues. Recently I moved across provinces to go back to school and I've begun to use the printer alot more for printing notes and such. Last week, my printer starts telling me that there is a paper jam (specific symbol on screen) at various intervals during multi-page prints. I would push the "Start" button (HP's terminology) and it would continue on. Now, it gives me the error message after each page.

I have tried all troubleshooting from HP online documents and online chat (Apparently whomever they've outsourced their tech support to doesn't bother cross training their employees on mac platforms because the guy I got said "Oh, I can't help you, I only know how to work a HP with a PC.") *sigh*

So, physical issue with the printer, or software with the MBP? I have no clue.

Fire away.

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think most HP printers either never break or break after a year.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Oohhh, mine is more than a year old! :D

5. Rich1803 macrumors newbie

I use an HP Printer for about a year ....no more than 2. I then buy a new model and take the old one to recycle. Trust me they have, IMO, a very short working life.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's so gonna break tomorrow! You mustn't tempt Murphy's law like that.

To hawkeye9935, I'm not really sure. Have you tried reinstalling the printer?

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Hp printers have only one, so its "feeling" :D

Perhaps the printer is from Calgary :D

Start talking about a replacement around it. That tends to get my faltering printers working again.

Buy another printer.

8. hawkeye9935 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have not tried that....I suppose all that's involved is removing it from the list in sys prefs then detecting and adding it again. If so, that didn't work.

If not, please learn me.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

I bet either paper dust or a bit of paper is tripping a sensor, causing it to believe there's a jam. I'd take a can of compressed air and thoroughly clean the inside of the paper path.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's about it. I couldn't tell from your wording if you had also done this but you could also throw out your plist file for the printer. I believe it's different than just removing it from system preferences. Go into your home folder > Library > Preferences and find the printing preference file (com.apple.print.PrintingPreferences.plist - or something very similar to that) and drag it to the desktop. Try then to print. If it's still screwed I'm going to take a guess that it's not software related.

By the way, you can throw out the plist file you dragged to the desktop once you're done, another plist file is recreated once you launch the application. I just don't like to tell people to bin them entirely until they're sure it hasn't made things worse. (usually it doesn't, it's a fairly innocuous thing) because you can put that file back if there's any problem. I hope this makes sense.

edit: for gits and shiggles you could also try repairing your permissions. I'm not sure that either of these things will help but it doesn't hurt to try.

From the post above this, the compressed air is a good idea.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That is so insightful! This poor printer just needs to be heard. You heard it here first, folks. Talk to your printers today!
    Validation, getting us out of jams one sheet at a time!

Sometimes I love passive spamming, it's so delightfully pointless.

12. hawkeye9935 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, iBlue....will get around to the plist tomorrow and post the result.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you're lucky you can get away with it.

I on the other hand either end up with an infraction, or the post disappears. :p

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Uh, I was talking about (and quoted) what appears to be a passive spammer, not myself. I like to think of each of my posts as little works of art. :p
    I'm infraction-free but I've had plenty of posts disappear, though I don't get all resentful and imply moderator unfairness. That's the road down to the stuff that gets a person infractions. :p

Aaaaanyway, back on topic...

15. hawkeye9935 thread starter macrumors newbie

The printer was one step ahead of me and saw through the .plist scheme. Problem is decidedly physical...no feelings.