I...I...Internet Explorer... decent?!??!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TSE, Dec 23, 2010.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I just downloaded the Internet Explorer 9 beta... I gotta say... it's actually quite good.

They really cleaned up the interface and made some much needed improvements. I thought 8 was decently fast but the Interface was terrible and the featureset seemed like it was from 2001.

Anyone else give IE9 a try?

2. celticpride678

I think IE 9 is the best Internet Explorer version Microsoft has put out. That being said, it's still not as fast as Firefox or Chrome.

3. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Yeah, Microsoft has really gone to great lengths to improve Internet Explorer in recent history, but it is still far beyond the competition (be it WebKit or Gecko). And then there's still the matter that it will probably always remain less secure. It is also slower (except FireFox just doesn't feel fast to me anymore).

No reason to use IE.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I hate the place where the tabs are positioned. Its a stupid place, no space there.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It's a lot better than IE 8, which isn't saying a whole lot. It's still years behind the competition - ANY of the competition.

6. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I disagree. There is enough space on the URL bar to fit almost any URL in there, and there is enough room for 4-5 tabs before they start to shrink.

I actually like it like that, with widescreen nowadays, especially the terrible 16:9 ones, any vertical space saved is a blessing.

The beta is definitely not complete, and I think it will end up being a lot better before release... The optimization still isn't even half way done.

7. tablo13, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

The new logo is fugly. It looks like some bad clip art.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

And the iTunes 10 logo doesn't? :rolleyes:

9. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

At least iTunes isn't FUgly, Internet Explorer has ugly bright blue.

10. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I love the bookmarks bar from Safari, in all honesty it's the main reason I use it. Seeing how IE 9 is turning out, I might be tempted to use it if they fixed their horrible bookmark section.

11. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

I like Opera because it always remembers your open browser windows, and the tabs have thumbnails now. But it does not work for 100% of the sites out there, more like 98%.

12. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Opera is great, it's actually my #1 browser, except it's not perfect:

-Compatibility is the biggest problem, a lot of websites aren't coded for it so they look messed up

-Flash performance is absolutely terrible on it. Much worse than any other browser.