I installed Cydia twice! What's going to happen?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bikalpapaudel, Dec 30, 2010.

1. bikalpapaudel macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

Okay. I had already jailbroken the iPhone 3G on 4.2.1 and had Cydia isntalled.

I then decided to jailbreak a second time, this time to install iPad baseband and when I did that, I forgot to uncheck "Install Cydia" in redsn0w.

It's always advised to uncheck that if one already has Cydia installed. What's going to happen now?

Should I restore my iPhone and start everything from scratch?

2. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

I would restore it... but really, why did you decide to jailbreak over the existing jailbreak?

3. bikalpapaudel, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

bikalpapaudel thread starter macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

First, because I upgraded to 4.2.1 and since iTunes wont activate the phone and I wanted to get a feel of it, I had to use redsn0w to jailbreak and hacktivate (I believe that's what it's called).

Later, I was contemplating on whether I should install the iPad baseband onto it or wait for official unlock for the BB that the iPhone carried (05.14.02). Upgrading to the iPad BB was the only way to get this "No Service" iPhone unlocked but had many other consequences. Then I thought "what the heck, I'm going through with it" and jailbroke it second time, this time with a tick on "install iPad baseband" option.

Jailbreaking it twice probably isn't an issue. People do that to change options such as enabling/disabling multitasking/battery-percentage/etc on older devices. Thing is, it's advised to have "Install Cydia" option unchecked if you are already jailbroken and have Cydia on your device.

I haven't noticed any unusual behavior on Cydia's part though. Maybe the second install is just an overwrite and not all that detrimental.

Thing is, I cannot restore easily now, since I run the iPad BB on the iPhone and the official 4.2.1 iOS I upgraded to just now is not going to work -- I believe iTunes won't validate an iPhone 3G running iPad BB.

4. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Nothing should happen. It should have written over itself...

5. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

I jailbreaked twice and nothing happened.

6. bikalpapaudel thread starter macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

I hope that is the case.

Did you also Install Cydia twice?

7. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I did the same and it ruined my iPhone 3GS, good luck with it, I had to change it.

iTunes doesn't recognize it as a valid firmware because it has a different baseband, and since you can't go back from 06. ... you're screwed.

8. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

It didn't make me install Cydia, it was just there.

9. boon209 macrumors member

Nothing really. The only thing Ive noticed so far is that once you re-installed Cydia over an existing one, all your packages and source are not register. Meaning that you'll have to go back into Cydia and do everything over. On your phone itself it is still there, apps like shrink,bitesms, etc. Ive maybe done this 4-5x already with no ill effect. I do everytime Cydia messes up. I normally get a sub-error #### so then I just go into limerain and install it all over. I do however have pkgbackup so I don't have to fiddle with the phone afterward to get it back up to date. I always keep limerain around so I don't have to restore and re-JB.