Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
How do I sign up for the free MobileMe so I can change my Apple ID to a MobileMe e-mail and start syncing everything?

Thanks!

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
How do I sign up for the free MobileMe so I can change my Apple ID to a MobileMe e-mail and start syncing everything?

Thanks!

You can't. You cannot change your current AppleID which you are using for iTunes store purchases (lets say its a gmail account) to a @me.com account.

But what you can do and most of us have done is keep that AppleID for iTunes purchases. When you install iOS 5 and go through initial setup, when it ask for AppleID for iCloud, say create new one and it will let you create a free MobileMe account. If you have already set up device using your iTunes AppleID, go under Settings>iCloud. Delete the account. Then go into Mail settings and add an iCloud account. At the bottom, it will say create AppleID. Follow the steps and it will give you option to create a free @me address.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
You can't. You cannot change your current AppleID which you are using for iTunes store purchases (lets say its a gmail account) to a @me.com account.

But what you can do and most of us have done is keep that AppleID for iTunes purchases. When you install iOS 5 and go through initial setup, when it ask for AppleID for iCloud, say create new one and it will let you create a free MobileMe account. If you have already set up device using your iTunes AppleID, go under Settings>iCloud. Delete the account. Then go into Mail settings and add an iCloud account. At the bottom, it will say create AppleID. Follow the steps and it will give you option to create a free @me address.

So I will have two accounts then, an iTunes account (GMAIL) & a MobileMe account to sync everything else?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
So I will have two accounts then, an iTunes account (GMAIL) & a MobileMe account to sync everything else?

Yes. To be clear, not a MobileMe account. You will have an iCloud account that is your name@me.com - @me.com is the email domain. MobileMe is a service that is being discontinued and migrated to iCloud. I know you meant that but just keeping the terminology correct for other that may read.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Yes. To be clear, not a MobileMe account. You will have an iCloud account that is your name@me.com - @me.com is the email domain. MobileMe is a service that is being discontinued and migrated to iCloud. I know you meant that but just keeping the terminology correct for other that may read.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

So in essence, I am going to have two accounts:
1) Apple Store (my gMail e-mail)
2) iCloud (my .me e-mail)

Is that correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.