I jailbrokethinking my iphone...of going back

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NYRob94, Jun 16, 2011.

1. NYRob94 macrumors member

NYRob94

As I mentioned before this is the 1st time I've ever jailbroken my iphone and I'm starting to reconsider doing it. I installed mobile notifier and still don't know how to take advantage of it. All the best jailbroken apps are one's I have to pay for (if I'm going to pay for an app I'll do it legitimately from Apples app store) so unless anyone has any recommendations for FREE tweaks and apps that will make me want to stay jailbroken I think I'll restore it tonight.

I would really appreciate it if people respond to this post.
    Thanks for your time,
    Rob

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I don't blame you. When you first jailbreak, things are confusing. :D

I've tried MobileNotifier, because I want to be familiar with things when iOS5 is released. But as a longtime user of biteSMS, it's just confusing to me. I've read that MobileNotifier now has a quick reply option (something I use constantly on biteSMS), but I've yet to figure out how to use it.

Before you restore, try biteSMS. Yes, it's a paid app, but there's a 14-day free trial and after that ends, I believe you can still use it for free (it will show ads after the trial period ends in the app itself, but not in the quick compose or quick reply windows).

BTW, buying paid apps from Cydia are legitimate too. Just because you're jailbroken and buy those apps (which you should do anyway), it doesn't make you a pirate. Only if you steal paid apps from repos that aren't discussed here, does that make you a pirate.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yeah, so confusing this can be for the first time. We've all been there at one point or another.

There are a lot of good/great free apps in Cydia as well as paid ones. Whenever a new tweak is released there's bound to be a thread about it so just sit tight and read up on those and then you can decide if you want to buy or not. You'll most likely buy some just for the hell of it like we all do :p

Once you jailbreak though, I think you'll find it to be a lot of fun and makes your iPhone much more useful/fun than the stock one is.

4. The Tos macrumors 6502a

5. NYRob94 thread starter macrumors member

NYRob94

6. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Some of my favorite jailbreak tweaks, that are free:

bite SMS (already mentioned) - quick reply to texts
    sbsettings - change settings such as wifi from anywhere
    activator - gestures
    five icon dock/switcher - self explanitory
    weather icon - live weather on the icon
    manual correct - fixes auto correct issues
    navigate from maps - if you have navigon, you can go to google maps and have navigon grab the address from gmaps
    no accessory splash - lets you control the ipod while connected to car stereo or dock
    spring flash - activate the camera flashlight

and if you're willing to pay, here's my favorites:
    lockinfo - widgets/info on lock screen, notifications
    voiceactivator - customize voice prompts
    folderenhancer - more than 12 apps/folder
    camera buttons - use vol + for camera

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If I jailbroke for no other reason, biteSMS would be it. Quick reply and quick compose, plus fully custom ringtones for texts? Yes, please! Worth every frigging dime I paid for the full version and then some. And so far, iOS 5 includes none of those things.

Rounding out the rest of the top five would be Folder Enhancer, SBSettings, Navigate from Maps, and PhotoAlbums +. And yes, most of those are paid tweaks, but seriously, the Apple App Store has been a far bigger waste of my money than Cydia, by a long shot. I've regretted only ONE $2 tweak I purchased, but I've flushed plenty of stuff from the official store over the years because it didn't live up to its claims. I'm never the first on board with a paid tweak, I wait and read the reviews in here first before I pick something up. 95% of the time, what I buy in Cydia pays me back tenfold either in usefulness or in enjoyment of my phone. I only WISH I could say the same for the App Store!

8. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Considering your signature, you should try ManualCorrect.

9. Almeuit macrumors regular

OP its up to you if you want to keep it ... no one is going to talk you out of it if you arent willing to try / pay for a few things.

Its like apples app store ... some stuff you buy you end up deleting because you hated it. Except here you can post / ask questions and get some good feedback. Like i am another biteSMS user and LOVE it... paid for it the first day never even did the full trial after a friend showed me it.

Just because you buy an app from the Cydia (jailbroken) store doesn't mean anything ... Why does buying from apples app store seem more legit? Cydia is very legit ... it just has apps that apple wont "approve" for their store (like biteSMS) because they don't like how it modifys their UI or how they think it should run ...apple's app store is just more restricted. Also as someone said Cydia IS NOT ILLEGAL ... So ... yeah :rolleyes:

So all in all its the same thing. But if you really gonna go back due to "id just buy from apples app store" then yeah you prob should .. because apples app store is just super restricted and if buying an app that unrestricts and allows you to do more sounds dumb just cuz its from the "jailbroken" store ... in my opinion your just another apple fanboi who for some reason likes restriction. So IMO .. un-jailbreak.

10. ChrisDaMan macrumors newbie

ChrisDaMan

I never enjoyed having a jailbroken anything, but if I did I would jailbreak it for the No Accessory Splash tweak (Since our car has an iPod hookup, but the controls can only be changed via gauge display) and customizable voice prompts, but I don't really want to.

In my opinion clean is the way to go. Doesn't void your warranty.

11. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I love my jailbroken phone, to me it's completely worth it. I don't see what your issue is with paying these devs for apps?? But it's ok to pay the ones apple accepts cuz they get a huge chunk of the profits??

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you don't like having your device jailbroken then switch back. I don't see a reason to convince you to stay. there are tons of great apps both paid and free in cydia. too me finding them is half the fun. I have bought apps from the app store and cydia.

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Same story here.

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

This really shouldn't be an argument against jailbreaking.

15. dellAbait macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I unjailbroke because Cydia looks like a shady flea market...

Plus us Canadians can only pay with paypal and i'm not a fan of that service... They need to take control and implement credit card payments.

16. Vee_dub macrumors newbie

x2. Considering going back to stock to get warranty work done is just a restore a way.

17. Aaron1021 macrumors member

Spring flash by itself is worth it for me to JB. I never thought I'd use it as often as I do, but I use it a lot, and it comes in handy in a lot of situations. I do have some paid apps like Lockinfo and FolderEnhancer. Which by the way are great too, and well worth the price.