I just became a ghost to Apple.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nevzorus, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Where am I? Will I get more updates? Why can't I find anything about me on Apple.com?

That is three of the thoughts the iPad 3rd gen has right now. Can I get some answers from you guys? Will we even get more updates or hear something about us who bought the 3rd gen?

2. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Simmer down, you'll get just as much support as the iPad2 has gotten and iPad 1 has gotten. As soon as you buy something its out of date, get used to it.

3. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not really the thing. I bought mine 2-3 months ago and it's not there.. it's not anywhere anymore and that's what makes me go more ''woah..''. The iPad 1 didn't really get many updates.

4. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

IIRC Ipad1 got every update up until iOS6. Same thing for support for iPad2 they are still supporting it with iOS6.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Didn't the first ipad go from iOS 3.2 to 5.1?

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

They don't leave the last gen model of anything on the site once it is refreshed.

FWIW.....the original iPad shipped with 3.2 and got updates to 4.0 and 5.0.

7. Reser macrumors 6502

Er wrong. Usually the old model becomes the "cheap" version. This time it has been completely abolished.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^This.
    The iPad 3 isn't a ghost. It is still supported, it will still be able to be replaced under warranty, and it still runs well.

9. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, THAT is good! The iPad 3rd gen just doesn't exist anymore though which makes me wonder if they'll care about it.

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

You might be upset now but you will be crawling back with credit card in hand!

11. iMule macrumors 6502

Good. I've had a screen bleeding issue since launch. Hopefully they'll replace it with a 4th gen in a couple of months when there's no 3rd gen returbs. They should've added the lightening port on the 3rd.

12. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Is this your first apple product?

The ipad 3 will be supported for years to come. After all, it's faster and better has better specs than the ipad mini.

13. Legios macrumors regular

14. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

The odd part is, that they left the "New iPad " marketing behind with the iPad 3rd gen. It is now just iPad again.

It really doesn't make sense that all mention of the 3rd gen. is gone. They knew it was a stop gap product, and that the 'New iPad' wasn't ready.

I hope they make good and allow us 3rd gen. buyers to trade in or upgrade for a nominal fee. especially those of us who went through multiple exchanges due to screen issues.

Is the new screen even IGZO?

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

So they're just going to give up support on a product just because a new version has come out. Riggght... :rolleyes:

16. cashville2400 macrumors member

cashville2400

I still love my gen 3 iPad and will keep it until I feel it needs to be replaced. If the the future updates are anything like this last one I would rather not have them. Apple will continue to support the iPad 3 for quite a while any way. Just look at the iPad 1

17. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

It's not that the new iPad wasn't ready - retina display is a HUGE upgrade. However, the entire line has changed since then. In addition to the new connectors, at&t finally switched on LTE in full force to support the iPhone 5. They wouldn't have done that for an iPad release.

Apple usually get scolded for under delivering in specs. Now that they've pushed things out faster with this release, people aren't happy either. It really is pretty funny to people watch here sometimes.

18. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I meant to go more in depth and say the screen tech wasn't ready. They ended up passing up IGZO and going with double backlit displays, which made it hotter and thicker, and probably has caused this mess of a screen tint issue. Also, pretty sure they'd rather have put the A6 in the 'New iPad' but they weren't quite ready yet either. So instead of waiting half a year or more, they soak money out of us iPad 3 buyers knowing full well a much better update was going to be released in just over half a years time.

Most of us don't care so much about the newer tech involved, but now that our yearly cycle is broken, we are OUT OF POCKET money would could have got on selling, because now there are probably going to be 2 iterations before I sell.

We bought in knowing that it was a yearly release, if it started at 2 per year, fine, but that's not how it played out until now.

They really need to do some 'New iPad' CR kiss-assery with this update.

19. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I bought an iPad 3 and I'm happy with my purchase. I was under no illusion that Apple would adhere to the release schedule posted on rumor sites.

My iPad does everything I want, and will hopefully be supported for several years to come. Apple didn't "soak money" out of me; I paid a price that I deemed fair for what I was buying. If they hadn't released the iPad 3 when they did, I would have bought an iPad 2 -- and now I'd really feel bad because those specs are so old.

This is how technology works. It's unfortunate, but it's life.

20. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

No. I bought my iPhone 4 in Mars last year and my iPad 3rd gen in August.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple never said anything about your 4 upgrade wise until the upgrades were available. Why would your ipad be any different?

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

My iPad 3 did not curl up and die, did not stop playing music, retrieving my e-mail, viewing iBooks or Kindle books, did not suddenly slow down to a crawl, did not tell me to go **** myself, and did not make a rude gesture to me.

Just because there is a newer model doesn't mean the iPad 3 won't be supported for a few years to come. IOS 6 runs fine.

23. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

Huh? He askes if this was my first Apple Product. I'm going to buy the iPhone 5 in december too. Maybe a mac too in 2013/2014.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You say that you are a ghost because Apple doesn't tell you if you will get upgrades. I said that Apple didn't tell you if your 4 would get updates until the updates were available.

25. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh! I didn't mean that I as a costumer feel like a ghost. I'm talking about the iPad 3rd gen becase you can't find it anywhere.

I didn't know if it would get updates but this iPad 3rd gen just vanished and that's why I'm concerned.