I just bought a 16GB original iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Jul 20, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay, so on eBay, I just purchased a used (one month old) iPhone 2.5G. It was $500, but I didn't care because it's in perfect condition. I haven't received it yet, but the seller said that they've only had it for a month because it's a replacement from another iPhone and it also has an invisible shield on it. It also comes in the original box and shows photos of the dock, the headphones, the power cord and the power block. Is this a sweet deal or what? Anyways, I plan on using it as a go-phone and unlocking it. I'm upgrading from an iPod touch 16GB by the way... now I can use MANY more Apps in the app store that are specifically designed for the iPhone. Like the following:

- Cowbell: Stupid?... Yes, but a little less stupid if I didn't have to plug headphones in to hear the sound.
    - Voice Recording Apps: Can't attach a microphone to an iPod touch.
    - Camera-based apps: Can't do anything with those with no camera.
    - Location-based apps: The iPod sucks at getting a location from wifi routers.

In my opinion, I did the right thing... anyone else upgrading your iPod touch?

Also, I know I didn't go for the 3G... but, the 3G looks and feels cheap and I didn't want a plastic back. Also, I don't like how the back is rounded so it would wobble if laying on a desk. I know... I'm weird... I just didn't see 3G or GPS as a major thing for me. Also, the original iPhone is easily unlockable and the 3G has yet to be unlocked...

Any thoughts? I have a feeling that I will be getting an "iPod touch PLUS" so to speak.

2. nintendude macrumors 6502

good for you but the location based apps won't work w/o a data plan

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm going to be getting a $20/mo. data plan for it.

4. Canuckk macrumors newbie

$500 is a little steep for an original iPhone when a brand-new, no-contract iPhone 3G is about $550 in the US (16GB model) when you cancel your contract. But otherwise, I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing as you. Selling my iPod Touch for $300 or so and then buying a 16GB iPhone for $400-450. That's pretty much paying $100-150 for a camera, a phone, a speaker, EDGE browsing and so on, which isn't all that bad considering it would act as my new phone (I'm in need of one anyways). So it's a consideration, but I'm not sure yet.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Nice, I think that you'll like the iPhone. I won my iPod touch in a raffle for some charity in October, about a month after I got the 2.5g. I used both of them for quite a while and enjoyed the smaller form factor of the iPod. However, with 2,0 and whatnot, the iPhone is really the better device for apps. I upgraded to the 3g (company pays for the plan, I buy the phone...) and I haven't noticed a huge difference between app functionality between the phones, so the original should treat you well.

6. illidian macrumors 6502

I'm sealing up a deal for an 8GB EDGE iPhone.

It allows me to carry around one less device (phone) than a Touch.

Wifi is enough for my needs, and saving $240/year ($360/year with the 3G iPhone) is not insignificant.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

In case anyone is wondering. The phone only needs to be JAILBROKEN to use the go-phone sim. You do NOT need to unlock the phone. Sweet! Your baseband will not be modified to use a go-phone AT&T sim card.