I just bought a 17 inch Macbook Pro 2011 from Canada on Ebay...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AbyssImpact, Mar 21, 2011.

1. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Is it any different than the one from the United States? I live in the US.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the only thing different might be the powercord for which u might need to purchase a us one. i don't think the keyboard defers so you should be fine.

3. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

If you purchased it with an English keyboard layout, it should be the same as the models that are shipped to America (keyboard layout, power adapter and AC cord, et cetera) as far as I am aware.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yep, the plug may be different, although I don't know if they are different in canada. If it is, you can just buy the extension cord and wall plug separate without buying a whole new MagSafe adapter. You may be able to go to the apple store and tell them you "moved" and need a new one and get it that way if necessary.

5. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

The power cord might be different? The plug might be different? Are you guys serious?

U.S. knowledge about the rest of world is breathtakingly stupid. Canada is your biggest trading partner. We have the world's longest undefended border. We've been connected at the hip for centuries. Of course we use the same power plugs!

#facepalm.

To answer the OP's question, as long as you bought a MBP with an English keyboard, it's the exact same computer in every respect. You can buy Macs with French (Canadian) keyboards in Canada as well.

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Plug difference, LOL.

No difference whatsoever, no worries.

7. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

8. mike2732 macrumors member

Well put! LOL different plugs... what are you Americans smoking?

9. mariocapo macrumors member

Maybe if there was a compelling reason to visit Canada we'd know what kind of plugs you guys use. Do you seriously know every country's power cord type? There's much more important things to occupy our brains. But thanks for looking down on us dumb Americans eh. :rolleyes:

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Actually, I do know most countries power cords. And the "eh" shot is unnecessary. In my experience, most people say some form of it, no matter where they're from.

11. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Agreed. Gotta admit I laughed quite a bit.

Sigh, so much ignorance.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

exact same machine ... I know a few people that crossed into the US to buy their new MBPs ... the Canadian Dollar is high right now :cool:

13. mariocapo macrumors member

Yet the Canadian genius calling U.S. citizens' knowledge about the rest of the world "breathtakingly stupid" because 2 posters were unaware of your fricken power plugs was totally necessary right?? And I wan't even talking to you, seeing as you didn't comment before this.

14. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

This is so true. The first responses in this topic had my cringing. Since when is Canada some far away foreign nation.

15. /user/me macrumors 6502

Nope, you got the magical unicorn horn based computer that will grant you whatever wishes you want. (only sold in Canada BTW)

16. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

You guys are all wrong

...taken from the Apple Unibody MBP 17" Tech Specs for the Apple Store Canada:

"Apple Logo contains .25grams of illuminated Maple Syrup"
    "MacBook Pro is designed to be operated in temperatures as low as -80 C" (unlike the -24 C in the US)

^ you could check for yourself at http://www.apple.com/ca/macbookpro/specs.html

I've also heard rumours that one of the included desktops is a Polar Bear on a white background, instead of a snow leopard on a white background, unlike the one used in the US.

And there is one difference in our keyboard, the bottom right option key is replaced with a key that combines the "e" and "h" letters. It's displayed "eh" on the new keyboard layout.

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The fact that everyone just assumes all posters are from the US (unless they specify otherwise) is just as absurd. The first responder's profile states they were born in India and Currently reside on Mars. If they are in fact still in India, it is a far away nation to them. This is a world wide forum, it is just that we assume since all posters post in english, they must be American. Not always the case.

18. HBOC macrumors 68020

I can think of a ton of reasons to visit Canada.. Jasper, Branff, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, etc. Some people like to travel and appreciate the beauty in all the countries. Not like you live in the most desirable place in the world, or part of the US for that matter....

19. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

hahha, I live in the US now. i have never visited Canada though. the closest i ever got was the border at niagara falls. It would make sense that both Canada and the US use the same plugs but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. on aless serious note, i wouldn't mind visiting Mars. I've heard it's quite red.:D

20. mariocapo macrumors member

Ok, I don't really have something against visiting Canada. I was fighting ignorance with ignorance to make a point. Canada wouldn't be in my top 10 desired locations to visit, but I'd still one day like to see it. My problem was with themanfromvlad's and mike2732's smug sense of superiority, and unfounded jab at an entire country's intelligence.

21. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

The ignorance in this thread absolutely blows me away.

22. /user/me macrumors 6502

me gusta queso tu madre?

23. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more. Perfectly said.