I just bought a 2011 15" MBP - Memory Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I just ordered a new 15" MBP but I'm not paying Apple $180 for 8 GB of ram. I think its insane to still offer 4GB of ram on any computer in 2011 but whatever.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else was going 3rd party for the 2011 MBP and which manufacturer they were going with?

-P

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All RAM is third-party, since Apple doesn't make RAM. Try OWC.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Buying 3rd party RAM is incredibly common. It doesn't matter what manufacturer you use as long as you get the correct specification RAM. That being said I tend to prefer OWC (www.macsales.com) and Crucial.

4. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Newegg has 8gb upgrade kits for around $85. I just ordered the crucial for $91. PC10600 DDR3 1333mhz 2 x 4gb.

5. x.brault macrumors newbie

Same here, I was only wondering wich cie would you recommend me for a 13'' model.

6. Brettla macrumors regular

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this page:

If you have questions that these sources doesn't cover, you can check to see if it has been answered in another thread by doing a Google search of the forums. I hope this helps!

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

8. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

This is absolutely not true. The manufacturer does matter. Over the years I've always gone with Crucial for my RAM. The one time I tried to save some bucks by going with a no-name stick it failed within a couple years. Now I always stick with Crucial. I've heard others are good as well, I just don't have personal experience with them. OP, be sure to do some research on the manufacture before buying their RAM (these forums are a great place to start).

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it is true that the manufacturer doesn't matter. Many reputable manufacturers make the same RAM. You don't need to only buy Crucial. For example, OWC is a very reputable source for RAM. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't even prove that the manufacturer you bought from is bad. It could be that you just got some defective RAM, which is occasionally possible from any reputable manufacturer.