i just bought a canon elura 100..what next?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bams27, Oct 12, 2007.

1. bams27 macrumors member

bams27

what else do i need? any suggestions? i prefer just the standard not expensive ones..

a tripod?

mic? external right?

firewire 4 pin?

im a newbie and i just need someone's help on what other accessories do i need?

i am going to start writing scripts and make short films with my friends.

thanx a lot ppl :)

2. Denali9 macrumors member

Canon Elura

Hi,
    it always depends on what you do. I have the same model and I find the image quality outside with a lot of light is great but indoor, it ain't that good. Play around with it and you will probably need an extra battery, tripod, a few tapes.

I believe you can attach an external light but since I never bothered, I just make sure that all lights are opened when I filmed.

Good luck

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The standard stuff will be expensive. Making (quality) movies is expensive. Most people get caught up in buying everything they need to make a good movie before they learn to use it correctly. I totally encourage people to go out and make a few projects without some of the things you listed and then look back and ask "What is wrong with my project?"

You will absolutely need a 4pin to 6pin FW cable. Tripods are always a good idea, start with that. External mics are great if you can afford them (more than just the mic. you need a windscreen, XLR cable, a way to attach that XLR to your camera, shockmount, and a boom pole).

4. seany916 macrumors 6502

cheapie tripod for $25-35

Rode Videomic? should plug right into your mic jack

5. erichian macrumors newbie

erichian

Canon and Apple :)

I'm also using an Elura 100 for a lot of the video stuff on my site until I can get a 3ccd Canon. The picture quality on the Elura is great until you upload to the web, but its great on a DVD, cd, or direct from tape. My biggest problem with the camera has been when filming in low light, the internal LED are great, for really close stuff, but won't do anything for you if your subject is more than a few feet away. The night mode is also horrible, but if you work with the AE programs, and have good light you should be fine.

The Elura does not have a shoe or accessory rail, so I'm not sure how you would ad an external light, unless you rigged up something on your own.

Most of my video is riding based, so I built a handle to make it easier to ride and shoot video at the same time. If you would like to see some examples of look in the video section of my site. www.ntxbmx.com

All of the editing was done in either Windows Movie Maker, or Sony Vegas. I'm hoping to improve the quality of my work once I get Final Cut Express. But for now I'm stuck with iMovie.

Oh I'm using a 6 to 4 pin fire wire cable. Make sure you buy atleast one extra battery (It doesn't have to be a Canon)

And if you want to do anything close up look for a Wide Angle, or Fish Eye lens.

Good Luck.

6. bams27 thread starter macrumors member

bams27

You will absolutely need a 4pin to 6pin FW cable..do i need this? i have a macbook and i think it's 4pin to 4pin? correct me if im wrong

Rode Videomic- is this compatible with my elura 100? elura's dont have hot shoes? btw what is a hot shoe?

also its fine w/o the light im shooting mostly outdoors

bottomline is i want to shoot a decent video that would have a clear audio to understand the film.

thank you guys for the reply :)

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

This sounds very much like an encoding problem. I think you need to play around with your encoding settings to make sure you are getting the best possible encodes for your videos in web friendly manner.

What format are your videos encoded in?

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

You're wrong :D

Macbooks have 6pin FW and your camera has 4pin.

9. bams27 thread starter macrumors member

bams27