I just bought a Gameboy Color!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Found a very eBay deal (no screen scratches, battery cover and Pokemon Yellow!) at a savvy price. So I've now completed my collection of Nintendo handhelds! Just need a SNES and I'd have completed my console collection (oh, and I have a full Xbox and just missing a PSP for the Sony collection ;) ).

So! What games should I look into getting? I totally missed out on Gameboy Color games. Yes they work on GBA, but I was too busy with GBA games to notice!

I was hoping to get Pokemon Crystal, but they're going for a fair bit on eBay!

I'm thinking Pokemon Silver/Gold, Links Awakening DX? That's all I know.

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Zelda DX and Tetris DX weere huge for me. I need a GBC and orignal GB to finish my collection.

3. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Rayman for the Gameboy Color was KILLER!

Pokemon Pinball was also awsome.

And Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. That was a great game.

The Gameboy Color was my first ever videogame thing of all time:)

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I enjoyed Dragon Warrior Monsters 2s. Not sure how they held up compared to the more recent games of that style.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Metal Gear Solid, Zelda Oracle of Ages and Seasons (2 separate games), and Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

Most of the GBC games were crap, in all honesty. Most of the GBC games I played were through emulation, and I saw a lot of terrible games. I actually some of the ones I listed and all represent games done right on the GBC. The Zelda's and MGS are hard to find though.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah, a friend has one of the Oracle Zelda games. I didn't know they were quite hard to find now. I shall snap that up ASAP.

I'm most interested to find Links Awakening DX. I think I'll skip on Tetris DX, MGS and Mario since I've already got them in some form or another!

A quick look around and there doesn't seem to be many GBC games.

7. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Man that brings back memories, I had Zelda, Tetris, and almost all the Pokemon games

8. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

You should definitely get Pokemon Gold or Silver. In my opinion, they are the best Pokemon games ever, and Totodile was my favourite starter. But I never played Crystal, so if you see it anywhere thats probably even better.

Most of my favourite games when I had the Game Boy Color were those black cartridges, I only had about 3 actual Game Boy Color games (Driver, Mario Golf and another I can't remember.) If you've never played it, Wario Land II was my favourite (non-Pokemon) Game Boy game back then.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Ooh I love Warioland games. Looks like I'll be getting-

Links Awakening DX
    Oracle of Seasons
    Pokemon Crystal (will settle on Silver/Gold)
    Warioland 2 and 3
    Possibly Rayman (got the GBA version)

10. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Oh man, Warioland 3. That brings back memories.

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Pokemon Yellow, Metroid 2, Links Awakening DX are on their way :)

I feel so nostalgic round about now.

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

13. applekid macrumors 68020

I forgot to mention a game. There was a GameBoy Color Wars game in Japan. I had a horribly translated ROM of that game, although it helped to make the game playable. It's more like the old Famicom Wars as far as gameplay, which is kind of a bad thing. There's no CO's (not too big a deal). No story (again, not too big a deal). The units were unbalanced (big deal). Like, a fighter jet did air-to-air well as expected, but it could also do a machine gun attack on ground units for minimal damage. Or the Mech Inf. units that could attack air units for minimal damage. This kind of overlap in units didn't make sense, but I can't say it got in the way of the gameplay. And the graphics were kind of crude.

I played that game quite a bit I must admit although I didn't enjoy no where near as Advance Wars. But, that definitely got me interested in the "Wars" franchise and glad Advance Wars came to the GBA in the US.

Okay, so maybe that's not really a recommendation, but more like a just to let you know kind of thing. :D

14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Woke up to find a slew of won eBay items in my inbox. And I might be getting Oracle of Ages off one friend and Seasons off another :D

I shouldn't be this excited...

15. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

16. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Speaking of Snes. I'm buying a friends SNES for £30 which includes some very rare games, on eBay they're going for £40 individually! But that's for another time.

Anyone fancy donating (or selling) both Oracle Zelda games?

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Nevermind! Bought them off a friend the next town over.

Get this - Both Oracle games boxed, with manuals - £15. Plus Pokemon Gold thrown in for free!

I'm so happy about this whole thing. I've acquired a perfect condition GBC, Metroid 2, Links Awakening DX, boxed Ages/Oracles, Pokemon Yellow and Gold for £25. I am literally over the moon!

And if by some bizarre twist of fate... I've found a GBC game! Pong. God knows how it got in this house.

I've been meaning to ask, how big is a GBC compared to a classic GB? I'm expecting it to be just a bit bigger than a Gameboy Pocket but I'm probably so far off the mark.

18. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

19. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Alright so everything has arrived now.

I'm playing through Oracle of Seasons now (got the boxes too and they're in almost mint condition, probably worth a small fortune now). Just up to the first dungeon. It sort of feels like a fan-made tribute to Links Awakening for me, this might change but I'm not impressed with the story so far. It feels like you're just thrown into it, unlike the more gentle approach to disaster in Awakening. The large artworks are just naff. Intro cutscene, dancing Link & Din and that big tree are visually ugly.

Realised you don't save by pressing all 4 action buttons all at once (a la Awakening) so I had to re-do the intro :D oops!

Pokemon Yellow seems alright. Doubt I'll play through it since I've already done Fire Red.

Pokemon Gold and Ages are on the to-do list.

Metroid 2 is so much easier than any other Metroid game. A bloody walk in the park compared to Metroid 1. I like it. A lot less hand holding compared to the other portable Metroid games.

Overall I think this was a fantastic buy. Even when I complete the Oracle games I can eBay them and make up for pretty much everything else I've bought.

20. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

That's suprising because IGN gave both games 10 out of 10. Thats more than they gave Link to the Past.

I also have Metroid II, and I found it to be harder than the GBA Metroids, infact I gave up on it after 15 minutes. I only really bought it for my collection, rather than to play.

And on a slightly related note, I just bought an original Game Boy. It was only £4 (maybe because it seems the previous owner never washed their hands). Now I just need a Game Boy Pocket and a Game Boy Light. :D