I just bought a Macbook Air 11" - BUT????????

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GooberGrape, Feb 12, 2012.

1. GooberGrape macrumors newbie

Ok I could not help myself. I have wanted a macbook air and I just couldn't wait. I kept telling myself that I would hate myself if the new ones came out in 3 months but would it be really that much better that I should wait? Well I could not help myself so I ordered an 11" with an I7 and the biggest flash drive and I hope I don't regret it. LOL - Im excited!!!!! Give me some encouragement that I did the right thing and should not have waited. Be Nice!

2. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I just bought a 13" Air Friday! You won't regret it! New models are always coming out or just around the corner. Enjoy it now and congrats!

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If we all kept waiting we wouldn't buy anything..:) I have a 13" with the 256 SSD and I love it, enjoy your new Mac, and don't look over your shoulder at what's coming next!

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

An i7 with flash storage is a rocketship which will serve you well for years. I'm jealous. Congrats.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

There is always something new coming out. The 2012 will probably come out in May or June. The main upgrades are likely to be Ivy Bridge processors that will bring better gaming graphics and slightly faster performance, along with USB 3.0. However, the Haswell chips coming out in late 2013 or 2014 will bring a bigger upgrade in terms of both. You should be fine with the 2011.

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

Though new models are always coming out so you can't wait forever, in my opinion you always get your money's worth when you buy at the beginning of a life cycle instead of towards the end. And for those that argue that the next model probably won't be a major improvement, when has Apple NOT made a worthwhile improvement when coming out with a refresh? Just compare the 2010 MBA to the 2011 model.

7. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Errrrr...not exactly true. Ivy Bridge won't be such a big leap from Sandy Bridge. It will be worthwhile to some, but not to the average joe.

8. anirudh macrumors 6502

CONGRATULATIONS!

Use your new Air for a couple of weeks and you won't need any encouragement from us to tell you how amazing it is! :D Its a beast of a machine in the form of a supermodel :cool:

Cheers

9. jltj macrumors member

An update might come out in a few month's time, but your mba will still give you as much pleasure as the first day you got it. Don't let all the marketing get you down, you don't always have to have the latest to get a top class experience. You should be happy your mba for the next few years.

10. Kendo macrumors 68000

What isn't exactly true? I asked, when has Apple NOT made a worthwhile improvement when coming out with a refresh?

Your answer is opinion if anything, considering Ivy Bridge isn't out yet and you don't know what the next refresh will hold.

My question is based on historical evidence such as every last refresh for iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc. There is a reason why you see people crying the blues when they buy a model and a new one comes out two months later. Just go through past threads whenever a refresh came out. It is all there in every thread going back a few years. The OP will be feeling it too.

11. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

You can reference all the threads you want, but it's still a rash generalization, and one I don't agree with - or fit into.

Probably the reason the "crying" threads stand out after the refreshes is because they are all along the lines of "OMG MY MOM JUST BOUGHT ME AN MBP BUT NOW IT'Z SO OLD WHAT CAN I DO CAN I RETURN IT PLZZZZZ HELP!!!!!" For every one of those, there's a more reasonable Mac user typing away on his or her perfectly good two-year-old MBP...

12. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I think he's implying that your question is flawed. Worthwhile is completely subjective.

I'm guessing your fighting the urge to buy one now and have as of yet, decided to wait for the refresh. It's the only reason I can think of that someone would come to the thread of a guy looking for some congrats and validation of his new purchase to start an argument.

13. Kendo macrumors 68000

No I already own the 2011 model. Don't get me wrong, I'm not posting to be mean. I don't even think I was carrying that type of tone when I was posting?

I can sugar coat it and tell him congrats and that he made the right move as long as he is happy with his purchase. But from a logical perspective, I simply stated it is best to purchase an Apple product early in it's life cycle rather than later.

I've been a member here for under a year but have been lurking for years before that and I've seen it time and time again going back to the July 2010 iMac refresh where people complained they just got the October 2009 iMac.

----------

Not to start a war but I can't help it. Isn't your last paragraph a rash generalization in itself? :p

14. aleni macrumors 68020

I just bought myself a 13" i5 with 256 SSD, and i dont regret it a bit, better use it now than waiting and waiting. The core i processor is not like core2duo, it"s pretty fast! I dont regret it abit.

15. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Enjoy it mate! It should serve you a good, long time. My mid-2009 Air is still going strong, so expect yours to last for as long as you want it to :)

16. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

The 2012 model is still a few months away, I wouldn't hesitate in buying one , especially because the 2012 will be a few small tweaks to an already near flawless offering. Heck I bought a 13" in January and haven't regretted it yet.

17. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

mmmm, you're still dancing in a pretty subjective area. This guy isn't a Best Buy customer who buys an iPad the week before everyone here knows the next one is being released, and then makes an account to complain about it. He's well aware of the time frame in which a refresh will likely happen, and choosing to purchase now. It's just such an arguably superficial grey area. As soon as an Apple product is released, there is apparently a...what, 2-3 month window that you should buy in, otherwise you're a DAMN FOOL!?

Some people would agree with that. They want to have the latest and greatest and would rather wait X months without a product so they can come away with the sort of satisfaction they desire. Other people, like the OP, are aware of the circumstances and choose to buy now because they know the product will suit their needs and they'd like to start enjoying it right away, rather than chasing the false sense of satisfaction that comes from an obsession to have the latest and greatest. A sense of satisfaction that is ultimately hallow and fleeting... as soon as the "Late 2012 MBA with retina display and thinner design?!" rumors start to drop a week after the refresh release.

Having said all of that, I'll be ordering a new 11" this week and quite possibly selling it to buy the refresh later this year :D.

So I guess I have one foot placed in each camp. :cool:

18. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

This is definitely outside of even my "wait" to buy window. If you need it, buy it. The only thing i'd question is if a friend wanted to buy an iPad now - i'd convince them to wait a few weeks.

I'm buying a Mini this week - I need a new computer yesterday, and can't wait to have the money for the Air (and, I have a firewire logistics issue with it). So now I will probably save up and get it this summer if I feel i still need it... because I have a feeling the iPad3 is going to suck me in to upgrade my iPad1 ;) (and I can't do about ANY of my online schooling on the iPad, which stinks, hence the Air - but maybe I won't need to be portable....)

19. hbtd macrumors newbie

I bought an i5 11'' refurb a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. The mid 2011 MBAs are solid machines. The only thing the current 11'' needs is a bit more battery life. Don't sweat the next upgrade... enjoy it!!

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i just went out and got the base 11" this past weekend. Its a solid and great machine. it is exactly what i've needed for a laptop. The waiting game sucks and its always going to leave you feeling "what if..." so don't bother with it. if you want it, need it, and can afford it, get it whenever you want.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

Even with an iPad, remember, if it is anything like the iPad 2 or iPhone 4S roll outs, it will be a month or so after the official launch before it becomes widely available. While I wouldn't recommend most people get an iPad 2 right now, a case could be made if someone really needs the functionality now.

22. richlee111 macrumors regular

Just throwing in my 2 cents behind 3dflyboy1. Intel's CPU and architecture improvements operate on a Tick-Tock schedule. Ivy Bridge will be their "Tick" introduction for their next generation CPUs. Compared to the current Sandy Bridge or the following generation Haswell CPUs, you will not be getting the best bang-for-the-buck with buying an Ivy Bridge equipped Air. Here's a quick, layman write-up on Hardmac that hints at how much better Haswell will be compared to Ivy Bridge.

23. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

SO without reading, it's like the iPhone 4 -> 4S -> 5 cycle. The 2012 MBA will be the 4S! :D

24. anson9110 macrumors newbie

I struggled with this exact question and decided to get the MBA now instead of waiting as well (couldn't resist any longer). I'm thrilled with it, knowing a new model is probably around the corner doesn't bother me as much as I thought. However, if they decide to put a higher resolution screen in it (if that's even possible).....Any thoughts?

25. jojoba macrumors 68000

I only got mine (13" maxed out) a couple of months ago and I'm super happy with it. An update around the corner really doesn't bother me. This thing has what I want right now, and more.