I just bought a macbook and the battery won't charge.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rainbow.machine, Aug 1, 2008.

1. rainbow.machine macrumors newbie

when I first bought it I just plugged it into the adapter, but soon I realized that if I unplugged the adapter, then the computer would shut down automatically. this never happened when I bought my iBook G4! the battery icon says that the battery isn't charging, so the light on the adapter is green, but there are zero green dots when you press on the button on the battery.

when I turn it off, the battery won't charge either.

should I take it in, or did I do something wrong?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

It's hard do something wrong, so I suspect you have a problem. Just for the heck of it, I would shut down the system, disconnect the power, and take out the battery - then replace the battery and reconnect the power to see if it starts charging. If not then I would return it.

3. mojitochica macrumors member

4. MattKanzler macrumors member

Go to the apple store and explain your problem

5. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

+1

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Same thing as my sister's MBP. Take it to an Apple store.

7. ctshu2002 macrumors newbie

Definitely need to call Apple or take it to Apple for service.

This issue has been happening to alot of MBP owners starting the last within the 10-15 days or so. The 'sudden shutdown' occurs instead of sleep mode, lower battery charge, the battery doesn't charge, the charge doesn't hold etc.

I re-installed the battery update and the sudden shutdowns stopped for a day. I installed the recent security update and later that day at about 83%, I left my MBP for about 2 minutes, when I came back, it shut off. I have the sleep settings for the batry in the power settings all to 30+ minutes. Yesterday, I had no issues, today, it shutdown twice, once at 62% and again 27%, when left idle for less than 10 minutes. It wouldn't turn on the second time until I connected the AC adapter.

There was/is a battery recall for MBP's, but the 'rules' over the recall and qualifications are to Apple's discretions. I also read on another site that this problem was also linked to Apple replacing motherboards in MBP's or replacing the notebooks themselves- some of cause due to heat damage.

8. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502