i just bought a macbook pro! (few questions)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juan370Z, Jun 19, 2011.

1. juan370Z macrumors regular

Hey guys so i just purchased a macbook pro
    15 inch high res
    2.3 ghz I7
    8 gb ram
    512 ssd
    estimated delivary is this wednesday..
    so my question are the following.
    do this computer come with the latest os x software?
    because i plan on putting lion once is released.
    and one more if anyone here uses paralles on window 7 and uses the following buisness app for windows
    sage peachtree how difficult was it to install it? should i use 32 bit or 64 bit windows? any info in this will deff make my day.
    and the last question is what kind of anti virus should i put on my computer since im going to be using both windows and mac.
    thanks for the help.:)

2. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

for antivirus, on the mac side: ClamXav, on the windows side: Microsoft Security Essentials

3. simsaladimbamba

If you mean Mac OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard, then yes.
    If you mean Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, then no. It has not been released yet.
    You can download it for free, once it is released.

If you have 64-bit drivers and software for your Windows applications and hardware, go 64-bit.

ClamXav for Mac OS X and AntiVir Free for Windows

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

4. juan370Z thread starter macrumors regular

yea i meant the leopard. i know the lion hasent been released sorry for the confusion. and thanks for the help.

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

The last time I needed bootcamp, I tried running 64-bit windows using bootcamp. Personally, I found it to be quite slow and sluggish, compared to the 32 bit version.

So, unless you're using some super intense apps on the windows side that can actually utilize 64 bit operation, I would just install the 32 bit version and make your life simple.

6. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

I would recommend Sophos AV for Mac over ClamXav. Sophos catches Windows as well as Mac malware and will catch more than ClamXav in general. My only complaint is it seems to get hung up on stuff every once in a while resulting in somewhat long periods of high cpu usage while it does its thing. Doesn't slow down the computer but may result in delay of access to whatever it is scanning.

7. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

That sounds very very expensive. How much was it?

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Just go to Apple and price it out. Comes out just under 4K

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

you don't need any type of av software or anything on your mac partition. just pay attention to what you are doing.

10. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

That's probably one of the most ignorant comments I've ever read.

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

errr? i mean, i guess if you want to waste space and time downloading and frequently scanning or possibly even paying depending on how serious you are, then go for it. it's not necessary on os x as long as you don't mistake an obvious phishing email for a real one or don't notice that you've downloaded a .exe file that isn't what you wanted or something. basically, if you can't read, to put it bluntly.

12. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

I see you editted your posted to include the bit on "mac partition". Regardless, that's still not true. Macs are every bit as susceptible as PCs are if you're the target. If you get hit with an .exe, that's really amateur and idiotic. Anyone who knows the very basics of C++ can write one after a month's course. Anything java based (aka any website you visit) can "phish" data and intercept packets whatnot, and that's barely scratching the surface. Windows gets hit with a lot more viruses, but ironically, they recover from them a lot better than Macs do.

13. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

.exe doesn't run on macs.

14. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X recovers faster than instantly from all the non-existent viruses out there I guess?
    Anyway, the new battery virus going its rounds is rather lame I guess, but what can you do with ignorant folks from the other side of the keyboard.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

wasn't trying to be anything more than opinionated, but sorry if that was taken the wrong way. i'm not against AV software on a mac, my experience so far has just led me believe that it isn't necessary. i understand that it doesn't hurt though. in fact, i have been thinking about installing clamxav just for kicks. it is my understanding though that it needs to install some sort of engine? is that bad, and is it removable if i decide that i don't want to use the application?

16. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

You have to actively be seeking out viruses to get your windows machine to the point where it needs to be reformatted. Otherwise, most rootkit cleaners do their work pretty handily with a few restarts on even the most ******* on PCs.

It's funny that after all these years, Macs still think they're invincible because they've cleverly been able to rename every virus as "intelligent self-aware applications" or some bogus like that. Fact is, Macs are juicy targets given that large companies based on design are riddled with Mac based systems. But ultimately, there's more Windows machines than Macs, so when writing software, why eat 20% of the pie when you can have 80%? Things will change as Macs become more and more popular, which it has. Tremondous growth in fact. Expect more and more given Apple's past 5 years of utter market dominance, especially in the mobile field. That Mac flavored pie is getting bigger and more delicious by the minute.

Truth is, windows users have long had to deal with it. A constant cat and mouse between security fixes, patches, different AV/AS and the viruses themselves. Macs are unchartered territory for the most part. It's tough for me to write anything that won't get picked up and blacklisted within a matter of minutes of release by any one of the thousands of security databases. But Macs, oh ho ho ho....

But as far as data "stealing" goes? Sorry, but Macs are every bit as suseptible as windows machines. Java does not discriminate. Nor do packets of unencrypted goodness. Welcome to the hot hell that is reality. Roll down your Windows if it gets hot.

17. simsaladimbamba

Marketshare has nothing to do with the absence of viruses for Mac OS X, or why were there viruses for Mac OS 7 and 8 when they had a much lower marketshare than today?
    Could it be the UNIX underpinnings?
    The Mac OS X Malware Myth Continues
    And wouldn't a hacker or virus writer be famous for writing the first Mac OS X virus?
    And what is the problem with properly classifying malware such as trojans, worms or viruses?
    Should a trojan be called a virus, thus one could finally say (and is been said many times already) Mac OS X can get viruses? Even when a virus does not need user interaction and confirmation to install it, while a trojan does?

So you are the infamous Mac OS X virus writer we have been waiting for?
    Show us your work then.

18. juan370Z thread starter macrumors regular

I got a student discount and with tax it was almost 3700

19. juan370Z thread starter macrumors regular

Please lets dont get side tracked guys anyone put sage peachtree accounting on parallels?

20. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

It is necessary to connect to campus networks on some college campuses including mine. Without ClamXav you don't get internet, period.

The unix kernel makes macs less susceptible to viruses in the classic sense of self duplicating and self spreading, but we now live in the age of idiot user aided malware

You're really smart and helpful, thank you

ClamXav does require an engine and I do believe it comes with an uninstaller since the engine is installed from a .pkg

You're right about viruses in the classic definition of self-replicating and self-distributing, but people need AV software these days for the built in malware protection, yes it's a much more broad term but it covers all the programs that trick users into using them, which sadly is a large part of my work load during the regular college semester. People are idiots and they need idiot saving software, such as AV programs.

And it should also be mentioned that while ClamXav is Anti-virus for Mac, it also detects Windows viruses in files which makes it great for sanitizing USB drives or even your Bootcamp partition (though it can't fix your bootcamp partition if it's NTFS formatted)

Moral of this long finger-cramping post, install ClamXav, IT DOES NOT RUN IN THE BACKGROUND, it only runs on demand. So it's not gonna be like Norton and be complete waste of money AND kill your resources.

21. simsaladimbamba

Can't they be educated? Or are they Lamebook contestants?

22. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

They cannot, idiots are a universal constant

23. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Mac OS X is a virus itself, so it cannot get any viruses.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sophos is not recommended, as it can actually increase your Mac's vulnerability. Read this for details: Mac Virus/Malware Info
    Macs don't get viruses at all, since none exist in the wild that run on Mac OS X. The only Mac OS X malware that exists is in the form of trojans, which a prudent user can easily avoid installing. No antivirus software is needed to protect a Mac from malware.
    See statement above. Macs are not immune, but all Mac OS X malware in the wild requires the user to install it.
    The market share fallacy has been debunked countless times. Read a few of the virus threads in this forum where it has been discussed and educate yourself.
    A remarkably misinformed, inaccurate and senseless post!

25. duggram, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011

duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

I have a new i7 13" MBP with 4GB that I put an Intel 160GB SSD in. I used VMWare Fusion, but don't Parallels and them operate similarly? I installed 64bit Win7 so I could use Visual Studio, SQL Server, Autosketch, and Access on my Mac. Runs faster than the Lenovo the boss wants me to use.

As far as installing goes it was a snap. I just followed the on screen instructions. It really is nice to have Spaces set up 6 screens and then have all the apps open I want to use.

I've also found out that if you use time machine and need to reinstall after something like a virus, it only takes about 30 minutes to re-image the Mac to where it was with the last backup, and have everything work right. You can't do this with Bootcamp. I found out about this the hard way.

Forgot to mention, I don't use anti-virus yet.