I just bought a MBP yesterday and I LOVE IT!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akeem923, Jul 9, 2008.

1. akeem923 macrumors newbie

hello all. i must say that this is a fantastic machine for what it does. I am glad that I went with the MBP over the MB (yes, i was one of those should i get the blackbook or the MBP...lol). The configuration I got is the 2.4 ghz processor with 200 gb hard drive and 4 gb of ram. any recommendations from my fellow MBP users you may recommend? thank you.

2. johngardiner macrumors regular

First congrats on your purchase... you'll love it more and more every day! Second, what kind of recommendations are you looking for? Peripherals? Software? OSX tips? Let us know and we'll be glad to help!

3. markgamber macrumors 6502

I got mine about a month ago and I love it. Recommendations depend one what you want to do. Personally, I'm a developer and immediately upgraded ram from 2 to 4gb. Second thing I did was buy VMWare Fusion so I could continue doing Windows dev on the MBP. Third thing I did was buy Office 2008 for Entourage (it's the only solution I know of for accessing two Exchange servers). Oh...and I replaced the old wireless router with a new one that supports 802.11n mode and it really made a big difference.

Two weeks after I got mine, my poor wife was so envious I got her a Macbook. She really likes that, too, and it's slightly inferior to the MBP, but not by much.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Buy a case (ZeroShock III, Incase) and start to think if you need a desktop setup. Do you plan on using your computer at your desk the entire time or will you be traveling? If you are going to use your computer as a desktop, I would invest in an external display, keyboard, and mouse. Sick setup there. I would also invest in cleaning supplies such as iKlear. Also invest in an external hard drive.

5. akeem923 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for the comments. I am thinking about running vmware fusion and getting a program called script writer. Has anyone tried it out before?

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Got mine 3 weeks ago and love mine! must get the 4Gb ram soon aswell! may wait until Xmas sales, see if i can get a bargain, and i will have started to see a performance hit, slightly.

7. nxent macrumors 6502

ahh, excellent purchase. i got mine about 3 months ago to replace my aging G5 and i'm still being surprised by its performance. out of curiosity, what kind of performance changes are people noticing when going from 2Gb to 4Gb. and where are people buying ram? according to Crucial, i can 4 GB for about $100. that seems... cheap...

8. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

I jumped from 2gb to 4gb about a week ago. Definitely zippier, esp. when I have a lot of apps open, resulting in only rare beach balls.

I bought from OWC for about $95.

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Big difference in speed or in reception (or both)? We're having some trouble here with a Wireless-N router and two laptops with 802.11n capabilities (a Lenovo and a MacBook).

Input would be appreciated :)

10. nyzballa12 macrumors member

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

12. DJAznSensation macrumors member

DJAznSensation

congrats! make sure u take care of it... its a fantastic investment :p

:apple: DJ Asian Sensation

13. akeem923 thread starter macrumors newbie

day 3 and I love this machine!! Spaces is a very useful program. I am glad I went with the pro instead of the macbook. The LED screen is great on the eyes.

14. hamis92 macrumors 6502

I recommend installing MultiClutch, as it allows you to assign those wonderful multi-touch trackpad gestures to perform keyboard shortcuts (works with most applications). It's very handy when you first get used to it :)

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Welcome to the Mac!! Hope you have many happy years together!! Less stress too!! Umm.. Have you gotten to the point, where you wonder
    "why didn't i switch sooner?" :D

16. markgamber macrumors 6502

I bought a Linksys WRT150N and I've seen a HUGE speed increase from the old 802.11b/g Linksys. My wife's Macbook also works well with it as does my son's Vista PC with a wifi USB dongle, two Linksys bridges connected to Slingboxes, a couple of WinMo phones with wifi and a Samsung Q1 running WinXP. I couldn't tell you about it's range, I haven't walked around with the laptop trying to figure it out, but it's supposed to cover a larger area than the old 802.11b/g and if I need more, I can always put DD-WRT on it and play with the power settings. So far operation has been rock solid and I haven't needed to reset it for any reason.

I have had problems with Netgear and D-Link dropping connections and exhibiting poor connectivity and speed. Problems with these two seem commonplace while problems with Linksys are an exception. Seeing how there's little price difference, I stick with Linksys whenever possible.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Be sure to flash it with the mini first then you can install the regular package (I don't think there is enough storage RAM for the mega though).

Yeah I put the DD-WRT on my 600N and it doubled my signal. I then got a Airport Extreme and an Airport Express and my signal more than doubled, so I think Apple's routers are pretty good IMO.

18. !on macrumors member

a good cover to stop scratches

a good padded bag (preferably laptop rucksack*) may save your machine if you drop it (but don't drop it)

a key-ring wifi finder will show you the strength of any wifi signal near you, if present

a 3g wireless dongle for when in urban areas with no wifi, may work in the country too but depends on signal strength obv... in the uk, 3 or vodaphone seem to be best, you can even pay-as-you-go, i like the 3 plans myself

apple care? insurance?

*defo watch yer back if you're carrying / using it in public areas. a rucksack makes it less obvious.

i'm loving this 'cos i never bothered with video before & had a shared pc. so now i can't get enough of it's media capabilities & the storage is all mine!!! but the best thing is portability & being able to hook it up to things at home, work etc etc.

19. Pickoff macrumors member

Awesome!

I'm just waiting for about $200 more and the updated model to get mine.

20. Bungleaio macrumors member

I got mine a couple of weeks ago now and I'm really pleased I didn't go for a vista laptop or the MB.

I'm constantly amazed with it, I've currently got itunes playing for the 1st time in my mates kitchen, the speakers are pretty good for a laptop.

I've bought a Moshi palm rest protector, I'm not usually a fan of stick on things but you can't tell it's on.

21. Maxxx85 macrumors member

It's a great machine. One of the better investments I've made (even though I still think they could be cheaper by hundreds but...). Its probably one of the smoothest systems I've used to date.