I just bought a new iBook G4!

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
Just had to share my joy and excitement. I bought a new 1.33GHz 12" iBook G4! :D

I can not wait for it to arrive- the sooner the better. :)

I ordered it with 512MB DDR333, anyone think that I should throw an extra 1GB of RAM in there? I mainly just plan on using it to surf the web, use M$ Office, iTunes, etc... For anything that requires serious horsepower, I have my good ol' Power Mac G5 to fall back on. Anyone here own a similar 'Book and think that I should or should not up the RAM?
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
Congratulations. :)

You'll be fine for RAM in the mean time but extra will probably speed things up. I recommend waiting until the lustre of your new machine wears off and then upgrading the RAM. The extra speed will make it feel like a new machine - cheapest way to get a faster iBook. :p
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
Congrats on the new iBook! :)

I would put another 512 in there, not bother with another gig, if you do ANYTHING. With what you're doing, you don't need huge amounts, AND you have a sweet G5 to fall back on to when you decode your government secrets and render your 3d animation and .. uhh. track satellites.. I don't know what James Bond does in his free time :p
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,981
364
Yeah, I'd say stick with the 512 for the time being. I'm guessing that with the dualie G5 there this new iBook isn't going to be doing much "heavy lifting" and in that case 512 should be OK. I have 512 in my (older) iBook G4 and it runs very nicely.

I'll wait till Leopard comes out and do a RAM max-out and OS install in the one go. That should keep me running smooth for a year or two after till I get my next Mac - hopefully some incarnation of the PowerBook.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
Thanks for the advice guys & gals. I guess that I will try my iBook out with the stock 512MB of RAM before I spring for any more.
 

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
14,888
2,480
St. Louis, MO
dmw007 said:
Just had to share my joy and excitement. I bought a new 1.33GHz 12" iBook G4! :D

I can not wait for it to arrive- the sooner the better. :)

I ordered it with 512MB DDR333, anyone think that I should throw an extra 1GB of RAM in there? I mainly just plan on using it to surf the web, use M$ Office, iTunes, etc... For anything that requires serious horsepower, I have my good ol' Power Mac G5 to fall back on. Anyone here own a similar 'Book and think that I should or should not up the RAM?
Congrats. You'll be fine with 512.

When I first got my PowerBook, it had 512 which was more than enough for what you want to do. I was going to keep it with 512 for awhile but someone in my dorm was selling a stick of 512 laptop memory for a good price so I went ahead and bought it and upped it to a gig which did make a slight difference.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
I have to take a moment to thank FFTT for all of the advice that he/she gave on which Apple 'Book to purchase.

So, thanks FFTT! :) :) :)
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
mad jew said:
It's who. You don't know who James Bond does in his free time.
:eek:


Oh well, shows how many times I've met James Bond.

/has a little crush on Sean Connery
//he's so scottish! <3
///and Pierce Brosnan
////Mmm... IRISH!
/////Craig Ferguson, too.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
katie ta achoo said:
:eek:


Oh well, shows how many times I've met James Bond.

/has a little crush on Sean Connery
//he's so scottish! <3
///and Pierce Brosnan
////Mmm... IRISH!
/////Craig Ferguson, too.
Sean Connery, the greatest Bond of all time; with the exception of myself...naturally. :)
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
dmw007 said:
Sean Connery, the greatest Bond of all time; with the exception of myself...naturally. :)
only if you're in a kilt. ;)

/GIGGITY
//kilts are dreamy
///<3

enjoy the new iBook, Mr. Bond. Use it to track down some like.. stereotypical gun slinging russian terrorists.
I dunno, I don't watch James Bond movies.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
katie ta achoo said:
only if you're in a kilt. ;)
Sadly no....sorry to disappoint.

katie ta achoo said:
enjoy the new iBook, Mr. Bond. Use it to track down some like.. stereotypical gun slinging russian terrorists.
Will do, provided the PowerPC G4 is up to snuff. Q said that it still has plenty of potential.

Even at MI-6, we have not been able to put a G5 in a 'Book. ;)
 

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
1,554
0
Nelson, BC. Canada
dmw007 said:
Sadly no....sorry to disappoint.



Will do, provided the PowerPC G4 is up to snuff. Q said that it still has plenty of potential.

Even at MI-6, we have not been able to put a G5 in a 'Book. ;)
... MI-6 isn't allowed 'Books - keep loosing 'em down the pub after hours.
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
Danksi said:
... MI-6 isn't allowed 'Books - keep loosing 'em down the pub after hours.

In the b3ta newsletter this week, one of the guys kept writing about how he left his laptop in the pub...

they let him in the MI-6? :p

Isn't that the place, where if they destroy a HD, they grind it into a fine powder, then burn the HD powder, then keep the burned, pulverized HD in a bucket in the basement?

Ooo, MI-6 = crazy.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
katie ta achoo said:
Isn't that the place, where if they destroy a HD, they grind it into a fine powder, then burn the HD powder, then keep the burned, pulverized HD in a bucket in the basement?
Yep, thats the place.

katie ta achoo said:
Ooo, MI-6 = crazy.
Watch it, I might have to send 009 after you. ;) :)
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
katie ta achoo said:
Have a box-opening party!! :)

If you fly me out there, I'll be the official photographer. :p
Sounds like fun, but I just spent too much $$$ on the iBook G4 as it is.

How about next time? :)