Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Well I decided it was time to upgrade my original 20" iMac Core Duo 2 Ghz so I bought a new 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz. My local Apple dealer had the last base model on closeout for $999 and they threw in 1 GB extra RAM for free giving it a total of 2 GB of RAM. Granted the new ones have a little more processor power, a little more HDD space and a little better graphics, but I figured why not save $200 and still get the full sized keyboard and remote. I never came close to filling my 250GB HD before and I was running on only 1 GB of RAM before so I figured it was a nice upgrade. I got everything transferred over and I must say it is quite a bit quicker, plus it is kind of nice to have the 64 bit processor and the new design which looks a lot nicer in my living room then the white one did. It is a better match for my other electronic equipment like my LCD HDTV.

Well not that anyone really cares, but I always see people posting about this or that, so I figured that I would tell you about my new iMac.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Gratz on your new purchase. It's always nice to hear peoples buying experiences and you got a good deal out of it aswell.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
from a purely subjective "feel" standpoint, how much faster are the new onboard graphics?

nice upgrade btw :D

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Congrats! I just got an iMac too, and i'm soo happy with it!
signature_apple1.jpg

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
from a purely subjective "feel" standpoint, how much faster are the new onboard graphics?

nice upgrade btw :D

Mine is the previous model and has the Radeon 2400 XT so I guess I could not really comment on the onboard graphics. As far as comparing this one to my 20" Core Duo 2Ghz there is no comparison, the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo feels much faster. My old iMac had a Radeon x1600 with 128 MB of VRAM and this one has the 2400 XT with 128MB VRAM. As far as I can tell from tests they are about equal as far as video performance goes, but the 2400 XT is supposed to be better at handling HD stuff.

Graphics don't really matter a whole lot to me though. I surf the net, listen to music, watch videos, do some iPhoto and iMovie and use MS Office with my computer. My other iMac was 3 years old and although that is not real old I usually upgrade about every 3 years. I figure by the time this one needs to be upgraded we might finally see a 4 core processor and a BD drive in an iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.