Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Found it at a yard sale for $15. My daughter is four so I figured why not. I have an iPad Air 2 and a 12" pro. I got it mainly for educational stuff and Netflix. I've noticed a lot of apps won't work with it. Does anyone know if there are at least some apps that will work for it? I also picked up a 2011 iMac for $40. I'm pretty happy right now.

Reactions: baypharm and sracer

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You can download them first on a newer device and then attempt to download it on the 1st gen iPad. If an older version of the app that is compatible with iOS 5 is available it will offer it at that time. No guarantees that Apps will have older versions available but I think you should be able to get an older version of many Apps that have been around since iOS 5.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Why doesn't this work when you try to download from the iPad itself?
It's kind of weird but the App has to already be in your library. Once you have installed it on your newer device you can delete it immediately as it will then be in your library and visible to the 1st gen iPad App store (download icon changes from "GET" to a cloud with an arrow pointing down). I should probably mention that this means that both devices have to be signed in to the same iTunes account.

Last edited:

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Like the others have said, you need to have her iPad 1 logged into the same iTunes account for the app store. Then you should be able to go to the purchased page of the app store and try to download apps from there. Many but not all will have a pop up that says something like "this app version will not work on your iPad but an older version is available" and give you the option to download the old version. Some will just say it is not available and you won't be able to use those apps. If you want an app for her that isn't already in your purchased page you will have to purchase it on your iPad Pro (or a computer running itunes) first. Then it will show up.

Family sharing doesn't seem to work on the iPad 1, so you will have to use your iTunes login for the app store. You can use her own for iCloud, find my iPhone, iMessage, etc.

I am doing the same thing right now for my 3 year old with an old iPad 1 that was originally my parents (I gave them Air 2 last year to replace it). I figure if she breaks it I'm not really out anything because you can't really sell them for much of anything. Eventually I hope to upgrade her to an iPad 4 or newer to rid myself of the 30 pin connector, but I figure I will wait until it breaks or apps quit working altogether.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The biggest issue that you will encounter is that the first gen iPad will only support iOS 5.11. This means you cannot load the newer iOS versions, and, therefore any apps that require iOS newer than iOS 5.11. As time passes, that list will grow larger and larger. In some cases, there are older versions available for older devices, but it's up to the developer to activate that option.

It doesn't matter if they are already in your list of purchased apps or not - if they require iOS 6 or higher, you can't get there from here on that device.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
Found it at a yard sale for $15. My daughter is four so I figured why not. I have an iPad Air 2 and a 12" pro. I got it mainly for educational stuff and Netflix. I've noticed a lot of apps won't work with it. Does anyone know if there are at least some apps that will work for it? I also picked up a 2011 iMac for $40. I'm pretty happy right now.

I'd like to hear more about the 2011 iMac you bought for $40

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
A original iPad is quite the find these days since it’s not supported anymore.
I'm curious as to why you decided to revive 2 different 1.5 year old threads today... haha

Edit: Whoops! Sorry 3 different 1.5 year old threads... all threads started by the same guy getting old iPads and iMacs at yard sales....

Edit 2: Oh my bad, 4 different 1.5 year old threads and a 2.5 year old thread. And that's where I stop looking. I'm not sure what exactly you're searching for but just be aware of thread dates especially when someone is requesting advice about a particular purchase/sale which has obviously been long resolved years ago by this point....

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm curious as to why you decided to revive 2 different 1.5 year old threads today... haha

Edit: Whoops! Sorry 3 different 1.5 year old threads... all threads started by the same guy getting old iPads and iMacs at yard sales....

Edit 2: Oh my bad, 4 different 1.5 year old threads and a 2.5 year old thread. And that's where I stop looking. I'm not sure what exactly you're searching for but just be aware of thread dates especially when someone is requesting advice about a particular purchase/sale which has obviously been long resolved years ago by this point....
Quite likely the similar threads at the bottom. Right now, suggested threads I'm seeing are from 2014-2016. There really should be a warning for replies for threads more than a year old or something.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Found it at a yard sale for $15. My daughter is four .

Why in the world does a 4 year old need an iPad? Whatever happened to Barbie dolls or playhouses? An iPad for a 4 year old???? For goodness sake, no wonder society is so screwed up (shout out to those Twitter whores like the Kardashians). Do you really want your 4 year old daughter trolling around the internet?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
yeah I noticed that too. They forgot that Leapfrog has tablet like features. I'm sure a parent that gives a child an iPad is looking to do the same.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Why in the world does a 4 year old need an iPad? Whatever happened to Barbie dolls or playhouses? An iPad for a 4 year old???? For goodness sake, no wonder society is so screwed up (shout out to those Twitter whores like the Kardashians). Do you really want your 4 year old daughter trolling around the internet?

My 1 year old has a first gen iPad, and my four year old has a 4th gen.

Here's the thing, they barely use them.

Last week was the first time my 1 year old ever used her iPad, on a 4 hour flight to visit family (at least I sent it with my wife, I'm not sure if they ended up using it or not). They will be flying back tomorrow and may use it again, then it will go back on the shelf and probably not be touched again for months.

My 4 year old has all of her music on her iPad and we use it with a sleep timer to play some music for her at night while she is going to sleep (if she asks for it, some nights she doesn't want music). She also has movies on it for the plane flights, and every now and then for long car rides. If she watches TV or movies at home it is usually in our living room with me, her mother, or all of us as a family. I would say maybe once or twice a month she might play with some games, coloring apps, or educational apps on it.

Both iPads have passcodes on them which the kids do not know, so they can't even use the iPads without their mother or I unlocking them.

YouTube no longer works on the 1st gen, and I have it blocked on the 4th gen. Parental controls are used on both to block Safari as well as installing or deleting apps, etc. Even if that got turned off somehow they do not know the iTunes password so she would not be able to get apps on her own.

My kids have over an acre of land to play on, a large swingset, a dog, and many many toys (including Barbie Dolls and playhouse/kitchen/food etc).

Do I feel that some parents allow their kids to spend too much time on phones/tablets, sure. But I also feel that some allow kids to spend too much time watching TV or playing video games. And, I even feel that there are even some kids that spend too much time reading or playing. I feel that kids should have a good balance of all of these things.

But I also realize that this is my OPINION, and parents have the right to raise their kids however they want as long as they aren't breaking any laws.

Reactions: Peter K. and Cigsm

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Sometimes people get divorced and it sucks. And you want your kid to be able to call whatever parent she wants whenever she wants.

Reactions: jerwin

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Sometimes people get divorced and it sucks. And you want your kid to be able to call whatever parent she wants whenever she wants.

What are you talking about? You don't use an iPad 1 to make phone calls. You use a good old fashioned telephone. Know what that is? There is no reason for a young toddler to be walking around with iPad's or smartphones for that matter. Parent's are out of their damn minds these days. My son is not getting an iPad or iPhone until he is old enough and smart enough to understand the world wide web. Too many Anthony Weiner's lurking out there. My son has a good old fashioned bicycle, baseball bat, baseball glove and like products to keep him stimulated and outdoors. When he gets older, I will give him a non-smartphone flip-phone so that he is reachable and for when he needs to reach us. That's it.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
What are you talking about? You don't use an iPad 1 to make phone calls. You use a good old fashioned telephone. Know what that is? There is no reason for a young toddler to be walking around with iPad's or smartphones for that matter. Parent's are out of their damn minds these days. My son is not getting an iPad or iPhone until he is old enough and smart enough to understand the world wide web. Too many Anthony Weiner's lurking out there. My son has a good old fashioned bicycle, baseball bat, baseball glove and like products to keep him stimulated and outdoors. When he gets older, I will give him a non-smartphone flip-phone so that he is reachable and for when he needs to reach us. That's it.

Not an iPad 1. But that’s why we bought our daughter an iPad. FaceTime video. But I’m glad you have life all figured out.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Feel free to parent your children as you see fit. I will do likewise... as I suspect other parents will, as well.

There is a certain joy in both the child and the parent or grandparent when one is able to do a video call (FaceTime, Skype, etc) when parent/child/grandparent cannot be in the same physical location... I truly enjoy our FaceTime chats with our youngest granddaughter - as, apparently, does she.

There are a number of ways to protect your children (young and old, alike) with technology ("Restrictions") and interaction ("parenting"). I'm all for physical activities, just as sports and just plain "playing" outdoors and indoors... but dang, son... sounds like the air's pretty thin up there on that high horse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.