I just bought my daughter an original iPad for $15. Question.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

Found it at a yard sale for $15. My daughter is four so I figured why not. I have an iPad Air 2 and a 12" pro. I got it mainly for educational stuff and Netflix. I've noticed a lot of apps won't work with it. Does anyone know if there are at least some apps that will work for it? I also picked up a 2011 iMac for $40. I'm pretty happy right now.

2. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

You can download them first on a newer device and then attempt to download it on the 1st gen iPad. If an older version of the app that is compatible with iOS 5 is available it will offer it at that time. No guarantees that Apps will have older versions available but I think you should be able to get an older version of many Apps that have been around since iOS 5.

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

4. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why doesn't this work when you try to download from the iPad itself?

5. bodonnell202, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016

bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

It's kind of weird but the App has to already be in your library. Once you have installed it on your newer device you can delete it immediately as it will then be in your library and visible to the 1st gen iPad App store (download icon changes from "GET" to a cloud with an arrow pointing down). I should probably mention that this means that both devices have to be signed in to the same iTunes account.

6. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

Like the others have said, you need to have her iPad 1 logged into the same iTunes account for the app store. Then you should be able to go to the purchased page of the app store and try to download apps from there. Many but not all will have a pop up that says something like "this app version will not work on your iPad but an older version is available" and give you the option to download the old version. Some will just say it is not available and you won't be able to use those apps. If you want an app for her that isn't already in your purchased page you will have to purchase it on your iPad Pro (or a computer running itunes) first. Then it will show up.

Family sharing doesn't seem to work on the iPad 1, so you will have to use your iTunes login for the app store. You can use her own for iCloud, find my iPhone, iMessage, etc.

I am doing the same thing right now for my 3 year old with an old iPad 1 that was originally my parents (I gave them Air 2 last year to replace it). I figure if she breaks it I'm not really out anything because you can't really sell them for much of anything. Eventually I hope to upgrade her to an iPad 4 or newer to rid myself of the 30 pin connector, but I figure I will wait until it breaks or apps quit working altogether.

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

What condition is it in? That's awesome. I'd buy the original iPad for $15.

8. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The biggest issue that you will encounter is that the first gen iPad will only support iOS 5.11. This means you cannot load the newer iOS versions, and, therefore any apps that require iOS newer than iOS 5.11. As time passes, that list will grow larger and larger. In some cases, there are older versions available for older devices, but it's up to the developer to activate that option.

It doesn't matter if they are already in your list of purchased apps or not - if they require iOS 6 or higher, you can't get there from here on that device.

9. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Does Apple still allow downloading the last version of an app that your OS version supports?

10. myrtledog macrumors member

I'd like to hear more about the 2011 iMac you bought for $40

11. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

The join the discussion about it here.

I recently purchased a 32GB wifi original iPad off eBay for about $20. It works great, has a few scuffs on the back, and it a great little nostalgia trip for the price of a movie :)

12. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Yes, but only if it is already in your library (hence the work around described above). I have a 4th gen iPod (iOS 6) that I have used that work around to get older versions of a couple apps.