I just bought the Retina 5k iMac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joelovesapple, Dec 5, 2015.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

...and I'm in LOVE! It is nothing short of AMAZING!!! :):):)

I previously had the late 2012 iMac and had upgraded the RAM to 16GB, so with the new one I took the memory module out and made this one 16GB as well; however it's the Fusion Drive that has made the huge difference - in my old iMac I just had the standard SATA III drive.

This beast is a breath of fresh air. It boots up so quickly, I can't believe it.

I also opted for Trackpad 2 to match the Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Keyboard 2. It's nice but I haven't got my head around Force Touch yet. Does anyone use it much?

Also got a iPad Mini 3 coming on Monday, gotta love Black Friday! :D:p:apple::apple:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats, though I didn't notice how quickly it boots up because my prior Mac was a MBP with a SSD, so they're about the same for me.

I'm not liking the Magic keyboard, though I'll give that another shot I suppose.

3. Macmamamac macrumors regular

I mainly use force touch to preview webpages without actually opening them. You can use 2 finger scroll on the preview window as well.

4. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

It definitely is a great upgrade - I went from a iMac 27" 2013 (nVidia 780M, 3.4GHz, 256GB SSD etc) to a a 27" 5K maxed out GPU, CPU, 512GB SSD etc. and it is amazing how things have jumped forward in such a small space. It was a big investment but I'll be keeping it for 3-4 years before i consider upgrading again.

5. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Enjoy your new iMac. Last year I traded in my iMac (mid-2011) for the Mac Mini purely because of financial reasons but once my finance agreement ends in January '17 I am going back to an iMac.

6. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Thanks everyone. I've been giving Force Touch a go when reading news articles, and I must say it works quite well. I've yet to test it out on documents, but so far I am happy.

How come you don't like the new keyboard maflynn? I think it's pretty much perfect, but I can understand your feeling if you're coming from normal clattery keyboards. I find myself making even less mistakes than the previous keyboard I had however.

Overall I am very happy - the San Francisco font in El Capitan does look so much nicer using a Retina display! I even upgraded my Netflix subscription so I could watch the super HD content :p.

Regarding the Fusion Drive, I was chatting to a friend on Facebook messenger, and before they even had a chance to read my message, the machine had already rebooted. (iTunes being sh** as ever, hence the reboot, and also to test :p ). My friend was shocked - and that was a reboot with a password to enter as well. WHOOOOOSH!

Thanks everyone, I'm a really happy customer!

7. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Wow, I'm glad to hear it. I've been tempted by deals on the newest 5K iMacs, but I've convinced myself I'll be fine spending the next five or six weeks waiting miserably for the Apple Pencil I preordered at the earliest possible moment.

Anyway, I otherwise have the same 2012 iMac as you, save for the Fusion Drive, which I went for originally. (And yes, it lives up to its sell-utation.) And I upgraded to the new mouse and trackpad, and yes, I do use Force Touch sparsely but regularly. I'm more impressed by the realism of the illusionary click. I would never have known if I hadn't learned about it.

Which means that my sole point of temptation would be the newer iMac' 5K display. Comments on that?

(EDIT: Oh, you just beat me to the answer with that last comment. Thanks. ^ _ ^ )

8. KustomRooR macrumors newbie

KustomRooR

At least that makes one of us who is enjoying their new 5k haha

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe its the spacing, or the overall size, but my fingers are constantly going to the wrong keys. The older wired apple keyboard I have is better and I can type a lot faster and more accurately on that. The ctl/alt/cmd keys are moved around and the arrow keys are not in a good position and finally there's no numeric keyboard, something I use quite often.

10. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I agree about the numeric keyboard. Leaving that off is one more Apple decision that chooses form over function, IMHO. Fortunately there are other options.

11. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

When I first started using the keyboard I kept fumbling and pressing the wrong keys, but now when I go to a normal keyboard it feels to space out. As for not having a numeric keyboard, I think it has actually helped me when I develop websites for it forces me to concentrate on what number I'm entering or it could just be my imagination. :confused::)