I just can't find a browser I'm completely happy with...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by forza69, Oct 7, 2013.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Back when I was a PC user I always used Firefox. I never once doubted it as my primary browser because it did everything I wanted quickly. Now that I'm a Mac user I seem to not be satisfied with any browser.

Safari - I've tried liking this browser, I really have. But with web pages constantly refreshing when the back button is pressed or having the web page reload only to end up completely blank, I've found it frustrating to use it as a daily driver. I've also gotten so used to Chrome's ability to keep the tab size the same size when closing tabs so it's easier to close said tabs, that not having it in Safari is a let down. My battery seems to handle Safari a lot better than say Chrome or Firefox but it also seems to lag on my rMBP. If any of you have solutions to these issues, or if you don't experience any of them at all please chime in.

Chrome - This was the first browser I installed when I first bought my computer. It's the one I use most often, almost always but it's also the heaviest when it comes to using up resources. My battery drains like there's no tomorrow using Chrome. This is honestly the only reason why I've started to stray away from it. Any tips on increasing battery life with this browser?

Opera - Probably my favorite UI-wise but also the least efficient. Don't get me wrong, it is indeed super fast but the lack of features is too much to get past. Just to name a couple that really frustrate me;
    Not having a bookmarks bar.
    Not having a home button (I don't really ever use it but I like having it).
    Opening the last page you were on a new session.
    And like I mentioned with Safari about Chrome's tab thing, I miss it here too.
    These minor annoyances should IMO be fixed asap by Opera as they are pretty standard things. Anyone feel like they might fix these issues in a future update?

What are you thoughts on the matter? What do you use and why/how do/can you like it?
    Any other browsers I should try out?

Maybe I'm just too picky.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I use Firefox as my main browser. I find it quick enough, but what I really like is the add-ons that are available for customizing it. Maybe try customizing it to your needs and see where that takes you. Just my opinion.

3. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Just noticed I wasn't running the latest version of Opera. Now that I am it has introduced pinned tabs, the tab size thing and the ability to open a homepage of your choice or open speed dial. Just read that Opera 18 will add a bookmarks bar finally. Looks like I found my browser.