I just cloned Leopard from SR Macbook to eMac; IT WORKS!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glossywhite, Feb 29, 2008.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

[​IMG]

"Good news EVERYONNNNE!!!" :):
    =====================

I tried to use the "Migration Assistant" in Leopard, to migrate my SR Macbook over to my eMac; it messed it up :(. So I got to thinking - well I may as well TRY to *CLONE* my Macbook drive to the eMac drive.

My logic is this:

If you can install Leopard on PowerPC Mac, using APM drive, and then boot an INTEL Mac from the PowerPC Mac drive, then surely the universal binaries have been installed ACROSS THE WHOLE OF LEOPARD.

Guess what... IT WORKED!!!. I have successfully cloned my ENTIRE SR MACBOOK onto my eMac. No issues whatsoever... YET.... I shall keep you all posted. Having seen various posts re: kernel panics etc, I was dubious.

ANYHOW - I just thought I would share the good news!. :D

{EDIT} Just discovered iMovie '08 won't launch, as it needs G5+ - no biggie! ;)

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

3. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Hey, thankyou Karen!. :D

4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Awesome! I should try this with my Power Mac G4 and see if it'll work.

5. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I can see no reason for it NOT to work; same situation. Which Intel Mac are you using as the source of the clone? is it Leopard?. Once I get a big enough hard disk in my Powermac, I am going to clone to that as well. I need unification of my working environment; what better way!. Stuff Migration Assistant... PAH!! ;)

6. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I have a MacBook. So it's similar to your situation. I'll let you know what happens after I try it.

7. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Cool - please do. Just remember that you can't boot your PPC Mac from an Intel (GUID partition map) drive, in Firewire TD mode - you can boot your INTEL Mac from the PPC (APM - Apple Partition Map) drive in Firewire TD mode though.

In order to boot your PPC Mac from the Macbook, you NEED to clone it as I did, (cloning a GUID drive of the INTEL, to the APM drive of the PPC Mac) using "Disk Utility". I wish you all the best in trying!. :D