Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I just cut the cord from the top, making a near identical of the look and feel of the AirPods being in my ear.

First off, before cutting, these same EarPods always fell out of my ear. They are unstable as hell.

After cutting they stick in my ear like glue, I even forgot I had them in my ear. Can't wait for mine to come even more now. I HATED the way my EarPods felt and now I LOVE the way these feel in my ear. Such night and day.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Yes, people don't realize just how much downward force the cords exerted on the EarPods. I expect that a lot of people will be favorably surprised by just how well the AirPods stay in their ears. Of course, we can expect some exceptions based on different ear shapes, etc.

nateofmelb

macrumors regular
May 28, 2013
Burn City, Australia
They have really poor sound quality though

Attachments

• IMG_7477.JPG
    IMG_7477.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,817

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013

I like the feel of the Earpods a lot. The don't hurt my ears as they don't apply pressure like other in-ear headphones. The tradeoff is the bass quality. But I find it very clear and good enough for music and other things except maybe movies.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I like the feel of the Earpods a lot. The don't hurt my ears as they don't apply pressure like other in-ear headphones. The tradeoff is the bass quality. But I find it very clear and good enough for music and other things except maybe movies.

Do we know for sure that AirPods use the same drivers as the EarPods?

My biggest problem with the EarPods has always been audio quality. They fit nicely, but the sound quality on them is atrocious. Heck, I got my mother a pair of earphones for Christmas last year (they weren't expensive at all - around £20 I think) and her reaction was "wow, I didn't realise how crap these standard ones were".

I have a pair of PowerBeats2 (now also owned by Apple!) which are cheaper than the AirPods, and sound amazing compared to the EarPods. Not sure I'd be willing to pay more for poorer quality audio, simply because they look cook.

Stereo

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011

For me, I want it for wireless and calls.
All those cheaper wireless alternative are not cutting it, they sound terrible even compared to my EarPods. And I like the EarPods design because it feels comfortable to me. I really can't stand in-ear design unless I'm working out.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The airpods I think are longer than the earpods, I have seen some pics were the bottom goes below one's ear.

I do not know their weight, may or may not make a difference with falling out of one's ear.

I am definitely going to try them. Why not since there is no risk and one can return them.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
I can't get the EarPods to stay in my ears. They fall out all the time. I hate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.