I Just Don't Know What I'd Do With It...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bmstrong, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

Anyone else in the same boat? Want one, want to play with one but, ultimately, I don't really know what I would actually do with the new iPad. It's never going to be a full computer for me and everything else I need is done through my Mobile. Just agonizing.

Happy for everyone else that gets one though. Enjoy guys and gals!

2. Papillo macrumors member

I have been in the same boat for the past 3 years but ill finally take the plunge. Ive been traveling quite a bit lately and it would be awesome to have an additional device after i run out of juice on my mbp.

Also with air video, i can now stream off my computer from anywhere that is priceless for me as i wont have to lug my laptop around with me. The LTE/3g version is a waste of money in my opinion since i have an iphone and with a Starbucks within a stones throws of any big city, you have close acess to wifi.

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Lots of people felt the same way, and then discover it's very useful (useful meaning for entertainment as well).

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

5. sekazi macrumors 6502

Internet
    YouTube
    iWork
    iLife
    NetFlix
    Movies
    Music
    Email
    GPS
    Games
    Notepad
    LogMeIn
    Dropbox

and so much more

6. MR1324 macrumors 6502

it is a VERY good media consumption device. the only 3 computing devices i have now are my desktop, iphone 4s, and the new ipad coming friday. i do all my productivity stuff on my desktop. my iphone is my on-the-go device. my ipad is my chill on the bed device. i also remote login to my desktop from my ipad and can pretty much play any video file i want.

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

I travel a lot. It's great for travel due to the long battery life but mostly because it's so light. Plus you don't have to take it out at airport security. Soooooo much easier than a laptop.

8. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

What the?

Don't know what to do with it??

Give i someone ho does first of all.

Secondly...give it to someone who does.

9. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

If you have to think up a reason to buy one, then you probably don't actually have a use for it.

10. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Let me just say that I returned my iPad 2 after the 14 day return period because it seemed like it only was a bathroom device... lol...

But my last 4 plane trips made me wish I had a lighter iPad instead of a heavy laptop. Getting new iPad!

11. Lawyer macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, it's not like it's $10000. If I don't like it, I give it to my mom haha

12. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

Honestly, I was in the same boat. I have a macbook, Own several generations of touches, and don't plan on using a tablet/touchscreen besides my phone (blackberry and iphone, just happened that way-- im not ballin or retardedly rich...one of the phone's contract is gonna end soon and im gonna end it) so i figured why the eff would i need an oversized ipad.

I dissed the hell out of it when the ipad 1 was first announced btw.

my buddy left his Hp tablet running android at my place for a week cause he forgot it here.. since it was there i just played with it and man, ive been converted ever since. I'd wake up in the morning and get out of bed an hour or hour half later :rolleyes:

I'd check email, check the news (even more frequently than I already read them) and just browse the internet. I didnt really touch games (he didn't really have many and i was too lazy to download)

But it's just the simplicity, ease, portability and the fact that i can, do all that on a light tablet that i did. Sure i had my macbook (upgraded the **** out of it, so its blazing fast) but it just wasn't the same. If i wanted to do serious browsing and typing i'd pull out my mac, but everything I needed to do regularly, was right there on that tablet.

Everytime i wanted to google something, check something, i went with the tablet. It's kinda like having my 51" at the foot of my bed, and finally having a remote to change the channel. May be an overly exaggerated poor analogy but u get the idea. This was my personal experience, the same guy that was a windows fanboy, the same guy that hated the concept of tablets, now can't live without his apple product and has an ipad 3 on the way. YMMV, just like any product, its not ment for everyone. 14 day returns no hassle ftw

13. Recon73 macrumors newbie

I too was a naysayer on tablets. But once I bought a iPad I was converted. I use my iPad 90% of the time over my laptop. Sure there are times where I have to use my laptop, but that is getting to be rare.

14. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Currently useful for:
    - Blah, I don't want to pull out my laptop for just browsing the net right now!
    - Internet browsing
    - Mobile presentations (I'm going to get the HDMI out adapter thing)
    - Gaming

Looking forward to:
    - Doodling with a very precise stylus
    - High quality app to support said stylus
    - SketchUp like app (also high quality one)
    - Better (better multi player support and graphics and storyline) games
    - Better newspaper/magazine experience (duh, how could I forget this)

15. Jasper84 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was thinking about putting a red cover on mine and slow dancing to Lady in red soon soon my love

16. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Played with the demo's again at the local Apple Store on lunch. Fantastic display, I will say that but the 11" Air was right next to it and it seems much more useful in terms of value and productivity.

I should have asked if anyone only uses an iPad and nothing else.

17. matttye macrumors 601

If I had a laptop I probably wouldn't have got one, but there's definitely a use for them if you only have a smartphone and desktop.

18. Burro99 macrumors member

I was looking to get a new computer, but after weighing my options I realized I didn't need a new computer but a secondary interface that could perform basic tasks and access network media while my MacBook pro was otherwise occupied. I wasn't sure that an iPad would be what I wanted so I picked one up fully prepared to return it if it wasn't worthwhile. One weekend later i know it's exactly what I was looking for. The lte is just icing since I didn't take my internet on the go previously (iphone 3G connex is awful).

19. mcl macrumors regular

Before buying the new iPad (my first), I also owned a MBP and a smartphone (currently a 4.5" Samsung Infuse android phone).

Generally, I'd do what I wanted to do on my phone while out and about, and at home, I'd use the MBP.

"use", for me, means:
    * browse websites
    * read RSS feeds
    * check various email accounts (work and personal)
    * participate in various fora
    * facebook
    * online banking
    * track my training
    * calendaring
    * shop
    * watch videos and movies
    * listen to music and podcasts
    * read
    * various programming tasks (both recreational and for work, sometimes via VPN)

All but the last I could do on either the MBP or my phone, to a greater or lesser extent.

After buying the iPad -- and bear in mind, I was one of the people who derided the original iPad as a superfluous, oversized Touch or iPhone when it came out (I had an iPhone at the time, and will be returning to it shortly) -- I found that I no longer need to use my MBP at home. Which is nice, because it means I don't have to lug the thing around from living room to bedroom to downstairs office. I can leave it in the office, next to my desktop, hooked to the external storage I keep down there. I can use the iPad everywhere else, and take it with me when I travel (I've long since stopped taking my MBP on trips).

With an Apple bluetooth keyboard and one of a few different apps, I can even ssh into various machines at work via the iPad and be productive, if I need to.

And sharing media with my partner while we're relaxing is much easier...it's trivial to flip the iPad around and show her something, while rotating the MBP and putting it somewhere she can see is a bit more of a pain.

So, it's pretty much replaced my MBP, and largely eliminated the way in which I've been using my smartphone in all but certain circumstances (e.g., while in the car).

20. iMule macrumors 6502

I was in your shoes 2 years ago. I'd sit there looking at the gorgeous display thinking "what can I do?" Sometimes I'd hit a brick wall. That's the mystique of the iPad. Use it. Just use it.

Pretty soon, you'll hate having to get your MacBook out for anything.

I plug my guitar into my iPad and record stuff on GarageBand like there's no tomorrow. I use Flipboard religiously for all my news (via RSS and Twitter). I blog from it using Blogsby. I do everything on it. The only thing I don't use it for (and I feel this is the only limit right now) is video editing. iMovie is just too limited for anything other than basic videos.