I just don't know what to do!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whittle74, Nov 23, 2013.

1. whittle74 macrumors newbie

Hi All.

I'm sure most are fed up of seeing the same old post, but after reading through some of the post's it's made my mind even more confused:confused::confused:

Currently i own a 15"MacBook pro - 2.4Ghz i5, with only 4GB 1067Mhz DDR3 mid - 2010

In honesty i do have a budget and would love to have an 27inch iMac, mainly because i'm stuggling to work on the macBook, old age:rolleyes:

The imac i'm looking for would be mainly for pleasure, i.e. internet, lightroom, itunes and other bits, watching DVD's etc. I have the luxury of having asscess to Adboe creative cloud through a license i have at work, It's the full package so Photoshop,illustrator etc. I'm a beginner in DLSR photography and enjoy messing around in photoshop.

The machine i have in question is as follows,
    Intel i5 prossesor
    1Tb Hdd, 5400rpm,
    8Gb DDR3
    Nvidia GT775 graphics card
    Graphics card memory - 2gb Gddr5

That's the basic's i could save about £150 having just 1gb graphic card memory do i need this extra?.

The storage device i've read so much about fusion and SSD but do i need these for my requirements?. Can i upgrade to these later if i need to externally or internally?.

I don't want to spend extra cash on ram and storage if i don't need it. I can't afford it anyway so hoped this could be added later. I know the ram can so i'm not too worried about that. It's cheaper to buy the extra ram needed of Amazon or similar.

Sorry for the forever long email, i just need to ensure i can afford the one i require if not i probably won't bother. I suspect the upgrade to the imac in question would be a step up from my macbook pro anyway?, I'm managing on that at the moment although i do need to increase the ram to probably 8 if not 16gb. It's not the quickest.

Thanks so much for reading this S.A but i would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

2. whittle74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All.

Looking at the specifications they look a little contradictory.

I've looked on the website of the retail store selling these and it states
    1Tb drive 5400rpm, although looking at the imac standard specifiactions this should be 1Tb 7200rpm.

More confusion, i guess that later is correct being from Apples spec.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

3. nsthompson macrumors newbie

Ok, so what's the question?

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Why not just add an SSD and some more RAM to your current machine?

But I would *always* recommend the Fusion update.

But two problems:
    1. The iMac does not play DVD's, as it doesn't have a disc drive.
    2. Why the graphic card update, when you don't play games?