I just DOVE into APPLE headfirst.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sicshift, Jul 10, 2009.

1. sicshift macrumors newbie

The last Apple product I owned besides an Ipod was an Apple II C+ back when I was 10 years old or so in 1988.

I just bought 2 iphone 3GS' for me and my girlfriend a couple weeks ago and yesterday I got the a new Macbook Pro 15". I'm going back to school to finish my degree and used that as justification for the new computer.

I friggin' LOVE THE laptop and phone! It is a bit of a change though, switching over to the OS used by MACs and I guess there's a new one coming out in a month or so too.

It's cool though as every time I'm on the computer, I learn some new trick that's awesome. Particularly the touchpad has some really nice features when in Safari.

Anyway, if there's anything I MUST know, please tell me. I've been told to get the Apple Care warranty for my Macbook and that it's definitely worth it.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Welcome to the Mac family and the Forum

Start with this Guide

And don't forget to set up Time Machine and back up your data!
    Set it and let it do its thing!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Congrats! But this belongs in the sticky up top. MR no longer wants new threads about getting a new Macbook Pro.

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

which is a shame. everyone has their own angle and combining them all into one kind of seems like reducing people's voices. It was nice to see all these new people's impressions.

5. sicshift thread starter macrumors newbie

I fully agree. I've been a moderator on a few forums that were rather large and admins have chosen to do this. It's a poor choice. When newcomers are all thrown into a sub-forum, no one goes into that forum to read their posts except maybe another newbie or the rare person who chooses to read them and help out. That really limits views. I've watched forums go down the tank because admins and moderators chose to make too many sub-forums. It's one of the quickest ways to wreck a good forum.

6. Snowbound macrumors regular

That's true, but 50% of the posts here would be just like this and that's just overboard.

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Well...to answer his question (whether I should or just direct him to another thread idk)...iWork is a great addition to mac and it runs about $70 plus it is much better than Microsoft Office and it is compatible with Office documents. If you need to copy DVDs then you will need Toast and MacTheRipper for copy protection. Also you may end up needing Quicktime Pro ($30) in the process. And one more thing that I think would be good for you is iStat Pro. It is a free dashboard widget that shows you all your system information which comes in handy. Good luck with your new system.

8. iyacyas macrumors member

Back to you question...

Since you are already here!

Welcome, to Apple/Mac and MacRumors.

First, yes you need to get the Apple Care, even thought the theory is that Apple just works, it still has hardware and hardware just breaks! So get the Apple Care it's is that simple...

Second, make sure you get you pre order of Snow Leopard for $10.00 as you should qualify for this offer. http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Lastly I agree with upinflames900 Get toast http://www.roxio.com/ and mac the ripper is awesome and free http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14414

istat widget
    coconutbattery
    onyx, is good maintenance program to play with...
    iresizer, if you do any photo resizing!
    Renamer4Mac, great for renaming lots of files at one time such as pics, before going into iPhoto.
    Flip4mac, allows you to view window media file with quicktime.
    Pic2icon or candy bar (easier but not free) to help you customize your dock.

and the one thing that you must have even if you are planning on using Time Machine..........
    SuperDuper http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html
    or
    Carbon Copy clone (CCC)
    http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Have fun with all the downloads!

9. tsa1 macrumors regular

congrats on your purchase.

to the above poster, its nice to see people giving out this info to new owers, instead of yelling/telling them to search for what software to download.

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Congrats , and your story is familiar.

I dove in head first about 5 years ago or so.

I went from the nightmare of Windows to OSX.

Started with a Powerbook, then 6 months later a Power Mac.

Funny I to once owned an Apple IIe, and a IIGS.

I never owned another Apple until the G4 Powerbook and G5 Powermac.

ENJOY your new computer life!!!!! It's better with Apple!!!!!

11. macman43 macrumors newbie

12. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I second the apple care, and I thought of a few more programs...
    If you like youtube - TubeTV is great for downloading clips
    If you go stuff with MPEG files - MPEGStreamclip
    For basic photo editing - Seashore

Best of luck!