I just "downgraded" and i'm thrilled!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ktbubster, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I just wanted to share my happiness.

I've had 2 macbook pros so far over the last 1.5 years. I upgraded from a tibook to a macbook pro CD matte last year and then to a 2.2 SR glossy macbook pro a few months ago. I absolutely ADORED them. The macbook pro is the cadillac of computers. I LOVE my pro machine and never planned on leaving a pro machine. Until last week. Because I'm a student, and it's my last semester I have very little power needs for design at the moment. Soooo a 600 dollar "downgrade" was very appealing to me.

Today I received my 2.2 blackbook (only 1230 through my schools awesome deals) and I ADORE this machine. It has a whole different feel to it, but I really enjoy it. Maybe it's just the "new toy" syndrome I have right now, but I never thought going back to a consumer notebook would feel so nice! It speeds along just as well as my macbook pro does on most stuff. Sure it gets a little hotter (my SR macbook pro ran super cool) but it makes up for it in it's cuteness (yeah.. i'm a girl, computers are cute) and form.

Sure, I'll miss the firewire 800, the 15.4 inch LED screen (although I was one of the people REALLY hoping for a macbook pro 12 or 13inch... and if that ever does happen i'll go back to pro), the macbook pro keyboard which I always liked, and the two sides of ports, but I think I will be pretty darn happy with this for the next few months.

I'm sure I'll be upgrading back to the power of the pro notebook come summer once I'm out in the professional world and need the 3d rendering and design power, and pro feel back, but I think the next few months are going to be swell! :)

So many people complain, I just wanted to share my joy and say I am now a believer in both sides of the fence - pro and consumer. They are both great!

2. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congrats! It was a tough decision for me, but I chose the MBP because of its larger screen.

4. oseary macrumors member

Me too... Plus, I am a WoW'r... Now, WoW will run without any issues on a Macbook, but it's even prettier on a MBPro.

I still love my MBPro, and my gf loves her Macbook I convinced her to buy after her Dell took a crap!:p

5. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

May I ask what font you are using in your sig, I really like it (topic starter)

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Since I stopped gaming I don't really need horse power with computers. I was thinking my next mac might be the macbook.

7. Beowulf666 macrumors regular

Beowulf666

Hey congrats on the macbook! I bought a blackbook a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

8. bogman12 macrumors regular

crazy man.. MBP is way better than my MC white.. you crazy man..

9. BrokenE macrumors regular

Hey KT

Does it really make sense to down grade, then a few months later spend more money to upgrade again? Only you can answer that, but I just want to say ...take care of your money! I know you think that you'll be making the big bucks and a couple of hundred here and there...no big deal right? Well, maybe i'm wrong, but i think it's a waste of money.

Do yourself a favor and read "rich dad poor dad" by Robert T. Kiyoski. Even if the downgrade/upgrade thing is no big deal, it will change the way you think about money.

10. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

The font is Century Gothic my friend. It is a swell font isn't it?

I really love this blackbook right now. I really enjoy upgrading and buying new toys a lot, since migration assistant makes it so easy swapping comps is fun.

Edit: So far I haven't had to spend a dime buying and replacing over the last few months (I know, I've been lucky with ebay and good good deals like this blackbook being 250 off).

I am not planning on making big bucks out of college. I will probably be making decent money, but nothing particularly awesome. I am downgrading now because I got a good deal on this like I noted and probably won't lose much when I sell it. I am selling my MBP for 100 dollars more then I bought it for (it just sold on ebay today for 1950.. lucky me!) I've been repairing and reselling computer for the last year, so I have managed to save up a decent little computer fund as well, so I'm not worried about upgrading again down the line.... especially since I am actually making money on the deal to go towards that... so in the long run it's not wasting any money at all really. The amount I lose on reselling this later will probably be the same as if I kept my MBP and resold it this summer when new ones came out.

So I'm just really enjoy this computer right now. Should keep me entertained.

The trackpad feels really weird compared to the mbp though. It is just as sensitive but the plasticy rougher coating is throwing me off right now and I am still getting used to the keyboard, but so far so good! :)

11. BrokenE macrumors regular

Well KT, it sounds like you know what you are doing. I still highly recommend that book to you or to anyone. Good luck and I'm glad you're liking your blackbook. :)

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Nice upgrade path. :eek: I'm still soldiering along with my 1.33GHz PowerBook G4 15"...a lovely machine.

The MacBook is disappointing for 3D games...but otherwise I find it an outstanding laptop and would love a BlackBook as my next portable...though replacing my desktop with a new Mac Pro is top priority. ;)

13. tveric macrumors 6502

How's the durability on that thing? Seems to me that the plastic wouldn't take a beating as well as my 12" Aluminum PowerBook G4 can. But I could be wrong.

14. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

Congrats! I just went from a iBook G3 to this Macbook SR 2.2 and through 4gigs of non-apple RAM in it, saving tons of money. I like the pro, but the only reason I wanted it is because it would run games on the sweet 8600M GPU. I knew I wanted just a nice fast machine and I didn't care about that.

I love this thing, I can't log off of it!!

15. ewxlt macrumors regular

Step away from the machine....;)