I just downloaded a 244 MB App Update over LTE

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kas23, Dec 4, 2014.

1. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Weird thing happened tonight. I had an app update pop up that was 244 MB in size. I hit update and I got the "app is over 100 MB" warning. I hit Ok, but then it downloaded it anyways. I'm out walking the dog, so I know I was on LTE (AT&T). Anyone else had this happen? Very strange bug if it is one.

2. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

Still one of those things that makes me put off by locked down policies of Apple. I have unlimited data on VZW. Have had it forever. If I want to D/L an app over 100MB, fine, give me a warning, otherwise, let me be on my merry way.

At least 3GUnrestrictor is out for 8.1.1 if you're jailbroken.

3. campyguy macrumors 68040

It's happened to me as well, but on UL VZW data lines it's not a big deal to me.

I can't DL apps over 100MB, but I can DL app updates over 100MB most of the time.

4. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

Yeah... You can download hundreds of megabytes in updates but not new apps.
    And can't download even the tiniest iOS updates over LTE. No sense!

5. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I also updated an enormous app over LTE once. I got the same warning, but then it downloaded anyways.

6. ravipiero macrumors regular

Also, most of the time if I have already started downloading updates using Wifi, and I'm suddenly out of my wifi zone, the updates continue to download using cellular.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

When you are updating an app that is more than '100MB' its really only downloading the delta update for that app and not the entire file size. Real Racing 3 is a 1.8GB file but the updates are really only like 25-30MB. The reason why you get the message saying you can't download the app because the file size is over 100MB is because it looks at the entire file size which is shown in the update portion of the app store, not the delta update.

So no, no one is actually downloading more than 100MB per app on the app store, its only the delta. This can be verified by looking at your App Store cellular data usage both before and after or actually coming across an app update over 100MB in size.