Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MicahFreak82

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
I just dropped my iphone. I can't believe it I was trying to get it out of my pocket and it slipped and fell on a sidewalk. I am so sick. Well anyway so i ordered a case right away cause i didn't have a case on my iphone not it is scuffed. you can't tell by looking at it but I know its there. omg

profetto

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Sorry to hear that.

Dropped mine the other day, luckily I had it in a silicone case and it wasn't too bad. The fall was also broken by my foot which I tried to use to cradle the phone, made the fall less severe, but without the case it would've been disasterous.

Invest in the case.

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
Time to make you're own youtube video now....

"Will it blend"???

=) Just kidding... just goes to show you, ya gotta keep a case on these things. I can't even tell you how many times my At&t tilt got flung across the room, side walk, pavement, desk, etc. etc...

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I've been using the black velvety pouch that came with my old 5th gen iPod Video. The 3g is even more grippy to hold, now that it's plastic at the back. The aluminium was way too slippery and I did drop the old iPhone a few times. Having a case ruins the aesthetic pleasure of the 3G - no thanks.
Just be careful when taking it out.

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
Same here. I don't, and will never need an ugly case! :p

Very well said. I'm fine with leaving the iPhone without a case to show off how good it looks... and I also feel like having one is unnecessary. I've had an iPhone since March and have never had the need for a case. I DID buy one for this iPhone but I have yet to use it and only plan on using it when I go to the football games here... mainly because I know I'll be drinking before hand and who knows what'll happen in the excitement of football + tipsyness.

crazyitalian198

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2006
Agreed! I'm a no case person myself. I've got myself SquareTrade accidental insurance just in case I drop it and it breaks. I do keep it in a sena case when its in my pocket or laying around.

cohenspire

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
around dc
Mine took it's maiden voyage to the concrete this morning. I have a foofpod for it, but of course didn't have it in there quite yet and it slipped out of my hand. It has 2 scuffs, but honestly it is bound to happen, the device was designed to be in your hand without a case and feels so much better without one. I'll continue to use it naked and not give a **** if it gets a scratch on it, because like a car...it will get scratches and it will get scuffed up. It's not always going to be pristine, but will always function the way i want and will always rule...now when the screen cracks then ill just call myself a jackass and go buy a new one.

importluva

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
iPhone > iPhone 3G in terms of build quality. I had no problem with a naked first gen but the 3G I think needs one.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Mine took it's maiden voyage to the concrete this morning. I have a foofpod for it, but of course didn't have it in there quite yet and it slipped out of my hand. It has 2 scuffs, but honestly it is bound to happen, the device was designed to be in your hand without a case and feels so much better without one. I'll continue to use it naked and not give a **** if it gets a scratch on it, because like a car...it will get scratches and it will get scuffed up. It's not always going to be pristine, but will always function the way i want and will always rule...now when the screen cracks then ill just call myself a jackass and go buy a new one.

I agree with your view on this issue 100%.

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
I've dropped my 3g 3 times. I've had it in the iCase sleeve from the moment I left the Apple Store. Not a scratch or reprocussion from the falls. Get a case. The iPhone is worth a few bucks of protection.

fstrxp

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
keep it naked and get InvisibleSHIELD. I don't like those bulky cases, so I am getting the InvisibleSHIELD put on my phone.

newmacmom

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
I used to have a case

but it was interfering with the motion sensor so I was dropping calls like crazy, getting put on mute, and putting people on hold and dialing out random numbers. I took the case off, and it works great now. I would rather have a case, but it was not worth the hassle!

dmel75

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
The two kinds of iPhone users

There are two kinds of iPhone users when it comes to cases. Those who care if the device gets scratched, beat up, etc. and those who don't. You should ask yourself what kind you are and buy a case based on that. If you get freaked out if your phone gets scratched then BUY A DARN CASE! If you care about it and you dropped it without a case and it gets scratched don't be a douchebag and attempt to get it replaced because you're a klutz. Buy a case and cover up the scratch. I fall into the freaked-out-if-you-get-a-scratch-on-it group so I use a case. Does the phone feel much nicer without a case? Definitely! Did Apple design the iPhone to take a fall? NO WAY.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
I did the exact same thing yesterday. It slipped right out of my hand as I pulled it out of my pocket and connected with the footpath. Everything is working thank goodness, but there are some scuffs on the silver area where it landed (would you believe the only corner the skins don't cover :rolleyes:).

Anyhow, while I count myself lucky my phone isn't broken, it would be nice to reduce the visibility of the scratches. Does anyone know if there is some sort of product you can buy to fill in the areas where the silver has scratched off?

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Try this for the chrome.
I did as the OP did in that thread did for my 1st gen iPhone, and it looked sweet, because the chrome bezel is a lot larger on that model.
On the 3G, it's not quite as prominent, so I won't do it this time.

sv650s

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
but it was interfering with the motion sensor so I was dropping calls like crazy, getting put on mute, and putting people on hold and dialing out random numbers. I took the case off, and it works great now. I would rather have a case, but it was not worth the hassle!

It sounds like you had an ill-fitting case. I have used several different cases and none had the problems you mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.